fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 21 Jan 2021 14:07 #112236

• paz
  • paz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all, wondering if there is a maximum image size that is acceptable for FCPX? Having some odd crashes and wondering if this may be the problem? - Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 21 Jan 2021 14:22 #112237

The maximum image size is governed by the number of images and the graphics capabilities of the system, what GPU and how much VRAM.

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 21 Jan 2021 14:45 #112238

• paz
Hi Tom - I'm on a 2018 MBP with an intel UHD 630 with VRAM of 1536 mb and Radeon Pro 560X with 4GB of VRAM - Thanks

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 21 Jan 2021 14:53 #112239

If there are only a few large images in a project than the image size probably is not a factor in the crashes. That's a guess without knowing what a large image is for you. If you have Chrome installed you should uninstall it completely.

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 21 Jan 2021 15:06 #112241

• paz
Hi Tom - don't have chrome didn't know there was a problem with it? I'm producing 8 x 3 min videos with a m ix of stills up to 7000 x7000 and live action - thanks Bob

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 24 Jan 2021 03:25 #112285

I use full frame Nikon z7 images all the time without problems. 45 mB images, 8k + on the long side

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 24 Jan 2021 12:43 #112287

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

paz wrote: Hi Tom - don't have chrome didn't know there was a problem with it? I'm producing 8 x 3 min videos with a m ix of stills up to 7000 x7000 and live action - thanks Bob

When FCP crashes it should raise a dialog showing the stack traces of each thread. While that's on the screen do a CMD+A to select all, CMD+C to copy, the paste that to a TextEdit document. Zip that file and upload it to me at this location and I'll examine it: www.transferbigfiles.com/dropbox/joema

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 24 Jan 2021 13:21 #112289

• paz
Cheers Dave thanks for this good to know appreciate your info :)

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 24 Jan 2021 13:23 #112290

• paz
Thanks very much for the offer the next time it happens I'll Wendover to send the crash report - stay safe

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 25 Jan 2021 17:21 #112314

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

paz wrote: Thanks very much for the offer the next time it happens I'll Wendover to send the crash report - stay safe

OK I received the crash dump. Here are some comments:

- MacBook Pro 15,1, 6-core i7, 32GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560X, 4GB

- FCPX 10.4.10 on Catalina 10.15.7

- It crashed in thread 81 when doing a Metal call then entering GPU code.

Other items within FCP memory at time of crash:

- Crumplepop VideoDenoise

- Many different effects from Pixel Film Studios

- VTwinFX from CoreMelt

- MotionVFX plugins

- FxFactory plugins

Any plugin using the FxPlug 3 framework (several of the above) runs within the address space of FCP. Any thread from any plugin can crash or destabilize FCP. This will hopefully be addressed in the future as plugin developers move to FxPlug 4.

Some plugin code can remain in FCP memory even after a fresh launch if you don't open a timeline with those effects. However I'd first recommend you make a snapshot copy of your timeline, select all clips with Edit>Remove Effects and see if it still crashes.

There have been many problems traced to Pixel Film Studio plugins. If possible try removing those or make a test library and copy a project over there, then remove those from that test timeline. Here is how to remove those plugins: store.pixelfilmstudios.com/how-to-uninstall-a-plugin/

An intermittent or random problem is difficult. I'd also suggest you update all CoreMelt plugins using their installers: coremelt.com/pages/downloads

CoreMelt is a good company but if the plugins are old it may cause problems. If you are not actively using those, consider removing them with this utility: support.coremelt.com/hc/en-gb/articles/2...ove-CoreMelt-plugins

Maximum Still image/Crashes? 26 Jan 2021 13:44 #112343

• paz
Thank you so much for having look at the crash report ad highlighting all teethings that might have been the problem - It would be great if FCPX allowed plugin to be disabled at the flick of a switch?? - Cheers stay safe :))

• Page: