fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 25 Jan 2021 01:30 #112299

• ygt
  • ygt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I can remove the silent parts of a video's audio in Logic Pro X. How can make Final Cut Pro to match this video with the shorter audio? Like automated jump cuts...

thanks for replies

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 25 Jan 2021 12:08 #112306

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
There's no automated way to remove silence in FCP like you can in Logic.
This shows glaring short-comings of audio in FCP, and the huge fail of XML round-tripping from FCP to Logic and back.

You can cut out audio in Logic but you can't cut video.
Once you go back to FCP, you still have a full length still, and have to manually cut the video track down to match the remaining audio.

So doing the automated silence removal in Logic does zero good for editing video in FCP. You simply have to do it manually in FCP.

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 25 Jan 2021 12:13 #112308

• ygt
  • ygt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I’d really hoped for a solution since we have an audio file coming from logic pro which fcp could sync with video’s audio... if it wanted to.

Or if only logic pro could mark the silences and export to fcp then let fcp do the trimming by the marks...
Thanks!

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 26 Jan 2021 01:30 #112319

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
You CAN do it in Logic and send it back to FCP, but you have to cut the returned video up manually. You can see in the waveform where the silence is. But no, there's not automated way to do this in FCP. Unless there's a third-party plugin I don't know about.

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 26 Jan 2021 03:42 #112328

If your problem is that you want to avoid 'noise' in the audio signal when it is 'silent' why not use the 'Noise Gate' audio filter on the clip in FCP. This way you can reduce the volume of your audio automatically once it falls below the adjustable threshold.
And because it is a filter you still will be able to sync that audio with other clips in FCP.

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 26 Jan 2021 05:12 #112329

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 252

Carsten Orlt wrote: If your problem is that you want to avoid 'noise' in the audio signal when it is 'silent' why not use the 'Noise Gate' audio filter on the clip in FCP. This way you can reduce the volume of your audio automatically once it falls below the adjustable threshold.
And because it is a filter you still will be able to sync that audio with other clips in FCP.

That could be a solution if the OP is OK having the accompanying video with no audio, but I believe he does not want the video at those silent parts - so that gets back to having to cut up the video clip.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 26 Jan 2021 06:25 #112330

Ah sorry thought you want to get rid of the audio and leave the video intact.

Now I haven't tried the following myself and it involves some learning but if you look at the following web page, specially Point 11, there is a guy who wrote a script for FFmpeg that looks like it does what you want:
dev.to/dak425/a-update-to-my-automated-s...trimming-script-1d4d

Remove Silence in Logic Pro and Match Video in Final Cut Pro 26 Jan 2021 13:04 #112339

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Noise gates are super over-rated. They cut out room/ambient noise, also, thus sound very faked when used in video work.

• Page: