fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 07:39 #112764

Good Evening everyone,

I am new to this forum, new to filmography, and entirely new to FCPX. I use a DJi Mini 2 for Ariel videography, and I love the footage it captures. However, I seem to be running into problems that I don't fully understand and hoped someone here may know.

The drone captures 4k at 30 fps. I film in this and I am careful to maintain a low shutter speed to avoid jumping/jittery footage. However, whenever I put the footage from my SD Card to my MacBook Pro 2020, the footage looks unstable and jittery. It looks like a panning shutter judder, but it isn't this as the footage plays smooth on both my iPad and my 4k television. It is the Mac that seems to be the issue. Tonight I tried to edit the footage and export it in FCPX. I played the final footage from my mini film back on my 4k TV and low and behold, it is jittery on there now too. TV still plays the original footage smooth, but the edited footage through my Mac now is unstable. Is this a common problem and if so, what suggestions would you have to resolve it?

As I said, the original raw footage from my camera plays smooth on everything but my Mac, and then when I edit the file in FCPX, the smooth footage is no longer smooth on my other devices also. I am confused! Any help would be appreciated.

thanks so much,

Tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 13:53 #112773

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 589
What format/codec do you have the DJI recording in?

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 16:16 #112778

Thank you for getting back to me! The Mini 2 can only record in
  • MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC)
I seem to have clean, smooth footage on my television and other devices in its raw off the sd video format, but choppy footage only on my MBP. My smooth footage, however, becomes choppy on other devices, as soon as I run it through FCP and export it.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 16:51 #112780

Try optimizing your media in FCP. Check an application like MediaInfo for complete details of the file, especially it's frame rate and frame rate stability. Can you upload a short clip somewhere so we can download it?

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 17:20 #112781

Seems to me like a frame rate issue. Are you editing and then exporting? At what frame rate is the project/timeline? My guess is your timeline is at 23.98 but your footage is :30. FCPX will play the 30fps in a 24 timeline, but it can be choppy. There are 2 ways to fix it, 1. create a new project/timeline with the correct framerate, then select all from the previous timeline and past into the new. (Check for gaps, converting from one frame rate to another can sometimes open up gaps if you have mixed frame rates). 2. Select a clip, then under modify/retime change it to automatic speed, this will slow the clip down to 80% to match the timeline frame rate.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 17:47 #112783

When you say optimize, are you referring to optical flow? If I slow the footage and use optical flow, this seems to help. But still odd that my raw footage on the Mac is laggy but fine else where. I feel like I am putting a band aid on a problem.

Where is the best spot to upload the footage? I assume you would need it unedited and in the original file format to download it? Thanks!

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 17:54 #112784

No, optimize is different. Right-click on a clip or clips and select Transcode Media. When you chose Optimize you get large, high quality ProRes files. It might stabilize frame rate issues.

Yes, the original file if you can. Either Dropbox or WeTransfer and post the link here.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 17:57 #112785

Optimizing can help playback, but it wouldn't affect your output. I think you have a framerate issue between your timeline and the footage. For instance, if your project/timeline is at 24fps but you're using 30fps, changing the speed of your clip to automatic speed would slow your 30fps footage down to 80% in a 24fps timeline. The other option is to make sure you're footage and project FPS match.

Last edit: by smojo. Reason: my first post wasn't showing up, that's why I've posted the same thing twice.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 18:10 #112786

I right clicked on the clip and transcode media was not there. I did find it in the menu bar at the top, but it is greyed out.

I think what SMOJO said might be the issue. I filmed at 30FPS but the project is showing 24FPS. Perhaps that could be the reason for it. I tried to slow down to 80% and will see if that helps. Though, I still don't fully understand why the raw footage plays back slowly and jittery on my Mac but smoothly on other devices. Any suggestions on that?

www.dropbox.com/s/x41vt7ojelft2el/TEST.mov?dl=0

Attached is the drop box file. very quick 30 second clip, pan down to up. You will see jittery footage either side of the road on the pan up. Let me know if you need more to review! Thanks

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 18:17 #112787

You transcode in the browser. Why are you working in 24? Do you have mixed media at different frame rate?

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 18:18 #112788

Mp4 is a great format for playback, but not for editing, that's why FCP has the option to create optimized media. Click on the clip in the browser, not the timeline to transcode. To change the speed it would be best to select the clip in the timeline, then under modify in the menu bar go to retime, then automatic speed.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 18:19 #112789

The mini 2 shoots in 24 fps or 30 fps. I am actually working in 30 fps, but may have mistakenly set my project to 24fps. I will be more mindful of that on the next one I do. I have tried the automatic speed option and I am exporting a new file now to see if it helps with playback on my television/other devices. Nothing seems to help the lag on the Mac. As I said, it is on the original file also without editing or any FCP input.

Lag and Choppy Video in Finished Product - Newbie 19 Feb 2021 19:05 #112790

There's nothing wrong with the file. It's 29.97. A 30fps project will be fine.

Select everything in your project Cmd-A and use Cmd-X to cut it. Then go to project properties Cmd-J. Click the Modify button and change the frame rate to 30fps.

Paste the cut content back into the project. You have to do that because you can't change the timebase of the project while there's media in it.

The clip you uploaded plays fine in FCP in the browser and in a project at the right frame rate. Not sure you want to slow that shot down any further by using automatic speed in a 24fps project.

Last edit: by Tom Wolsky.
  • Page: