fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to view captions within a compound clip in the browser? 19 Feb 2021 12:57 #112770

• BJansch
  • BJansch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, I'm editing a short foreign language film that has english captions. I created comp clips to view the synchronised clips that have sync audio and captions in the browser but the captions don't show up in the viewer when I skim the footage.

Any ideas how to see the captions so that I can log the footage and choose the useable sync? Because it will be a very laborious process if I have to go into every compound clip to do that.

Thanks for any help!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to view captions within a compound clip in the browser? 19 Feb 2021 15:20 #112777

• BJansch
  • BJansch's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Here's the not so convenient solution:
drag you sequence with containing captions into XTitle Extractor £35 for anything over 25 captions. It will export an FCPXML, which you can then import back into your library. Then open that project and CMD-A to select all, turn into compound clip, and voila, you can now see your captions (albeit as subtitles) while browsing the compound clip.

How to view captions within a compound clip in the browser? 19 Feb 2021 17:44 #112782

Even though I'm the author of X-Title here another option – in case you don't have to many clips.
Just render out all comps but with captions only. Means everything disabled except captions. Reimport into the comps as kind of overlay video.

How to view captions within a compound clip in the browser? 19 Feb 2021 20:38 #112792

I do not fully understand why you use compound clips and what you mean in regards to ‘synchronised clips’. But when you create compound clips you do not have to include the captions. Just do not select them when you select what to compound and they will remain. Captions are rendered as a final overlay, they do not behave like titles. That why they do not show when they are inside a compound. If you want them inside the compound you have to do what Andreas said.

• Page: