fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 19 Feb 2021 19:22 #112791

• paz
  • paz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello hive mind - I've a bunch of mini DV tapes and a couple of players (VX1000 & GV -D900E) that can output via mini firewire cable. Q what would you recommend I get connector/dock wise to be able too import (if possible) for editing - many thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 19 Feb 2021 23:12 #112795

Haven't done in ages but if you can get the firewire connection to your Mac and open the file import window in Final Cut doesn't your tape/camera show up automatically? For trouble shooting ideas search for 'firewire' in Final Cut Pro help.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 20 Feb 2021 14:13 #112802

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 589
FCP will chop that capture up into a bunch of shorter shots dues to DV tape's horribly bad timecode breaks. You may want to use QuickTime to capture the tapes.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 20 Feb 2021 14:45 #112804

• paz
Hi Carsten, I have a mish mash of cables that I'm trying to use but FCP does not show any camera input so I'm thinking one or more elements my not be allowing the signal through? Current string is: mini DV firewire to 400 cable into 400 to 800 adapter into 800 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and lastly, and here is where I'm not sure if its the correct version a thunderbolt 2/mini display port to usb 3 connector. I'm not sure If the last one is only mini display if it would work correctly? - Thanks

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 20 Feb 2021 14:46 #112805

• paz
Hi Ben, yes hope either route would work but getting the connectors right seems to be my challenge - Cheers

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 20 Feb 2021 19:30 #112815

If you have a Blackmagic Video Assist or Atomos Ninja pipe the camera into that and be done with all those finicky cable connections.

Used to use a Focus Firestore for video file capture instead of tape. One other option is to use iMovie to collect the files. Did this some time ago so going by memory here but when Final Cut 7 and then FCPX had difficulty recognizing the camera I was able to do so in iMovie.

One other option is the Atomos Connect HDMI to USB AV capture device then OBS software to collect the signal. You've likely spent hours cobbling something together trying to get things going direct into FCP but the fastest way is to gather the file outside FCP & then throw that into the NLE.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 20 Feb 2021 20:52 #112816

Sorry can help w cable tips but I’m sure that too many adapters are your problem. I personally would not try not more than one adapter.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 21 Feb 2021 00:51 #112820

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Agreed, too many adapters, you're simply losing the signal altogether.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 21 Feb 2021 11:03 #112828

• paz
Agree too many connectors but can't seem to find any connectors/docks that would do the trick with less? Assuming no one makes a mini DV/firewire to thunderbolt 3 bit too old school?

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 21 Feb 2021 13:35 #112833

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
I think you'll need two: Min-FW to FW adapter, and then a FW to USB adapter. Not sure you're going to find a FW to T'bolt adapter.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 21 Feb 2021 20:36 #112840

We’ll eat your words Carsten. Google and you shall find this: www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expe...old-audio-interfaces . Looks like the chain of adapters are not your problem. I remember when I searched the FCP help file for ‘FireWire’ there was also a mention of compatible devices. Maybe you have to check if your Camcorders are actually on the list?

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 21 Feb 2021 20:48 #112841

This is all Apple has to say about FireWire:

Final Cut Pro is compatible with most MiniDV tape-based camcorders using DV and HDV formats, which use a FireWire (also known as IEEE 1394 or i.LINK) cable to transfer video. Avoid disconnecting FireWire devices during import to prevent unexpected behavior or unusable imported media. Please note that FireWire hubs are not recommended for devices in use with Final Cut Pro.

DV tapes into 2020 iMac 22 Feb 2021 12:21 #112858

• paz
Well it transpires that my wife has a better memory than me. After telling her about all the efforts of the contributors to this problem she has reminded me that her old MBP has a firewire port! I have therefore been able to transfer the DV footage using QT ad free running the tapes. - Thanks again to all that posted advice, much appreciated, In future I'll have to pass things via my wife first I think?

• Page: