fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 21 Feb 2021 06:12 #112825

• Ayapov
  • Ayapov's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, we have a lot of footage 300+ hours of unscripted documentary. We sync 60 % of footage with plural eyes.

Now we have synced clips and usual videos on the output, that not passed plural eyes for some reasons. PE passed all those synced clips as synchronised clip containers and common video clips to fcpx.

Now, before starting organizing and digesting footage, we want an option to sync manually those usyncronized footage later on, without ruining our keywords, notes, roles etc.

So we want all footage as compound clips for that reason.

But all i found is to manually Option+G to covert 1 video clip to desired compound clip container.

So, now is the question:
Is there another way to create copmound clips from the group of video clips? (we 1000-nds of them, and manual clip by clip coversion is a pain)
Some 3-rd paty plugin?
Or some kind of self-written script?

I like the freedom of Copmound Clip container, as it makes a lot of possibilities to workflow such as Creating Instances and inheritance possibilities.

But probably I choose a totaly wrong workflow?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 21 Feb 2021 13:08 #112832

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 590
I’d totally rethink your workflow. If you need massive amounts of compounds, yeah, you’re asking for trouble down the road. I don’t know why you need a single clip to be in a compound, but I’ve never seen that need before.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 21 Feb 2021 20:50 #112842

There is no batch syncing in FCP. And I’m w Ben that creating compounds for syncing is a bad idea. Specially for that amount of clips. When you sync clips in FCP it actually creates a special type of clip which kind of behaves similar to a compound in the sense that you can open it and manually manipulate the relationship of the video and any number of audio clips synced. Do you have matching TC on the video and audio that you need to sync? If yes get ’Sync & Link’ from Intelligent assistant. Expensive but it will save so much time that it pays for itself on the first job just by saved man hours. It is apart from Plural eyes the only batch syncing app I know. If you don’t have matching Tc unfortunately the manual way of one by one is the only way I know inside of FCP.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 21 Feb 2021 22:10 #112844

It’s helpful sometimes to open a clip container to adjust the clip sync. You can do this to any clip, not only sync clip containers.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 01:58 #112846

• Ayapov

Ben Balser wrote: I’d totally rethink your workflow. If you need massive amounts of compounds, yeah, you’re asking for trouble down the road. I don’t know why you need a single clip to be in a compound, but I’ve never seen that need before.

Me too until I got the 350 hrs of reality to edit fast.
Yes, I could not imagine myself in such a situation.
No TC.

Here is the steps of workflow:
Step 1 - PE do the job good for syncyng dailies with sound from Lavaliers (with 60-95% success rate which is ok).
Step 2 - PE sending files directly to FCPX library into automatically created separate Event
Step 3 - So we got Event with mix of
a). Sinchronized Clips (some of them cynced bad, not all by some needs manuall sound syncing)
and
b). untuched Video Clips (some needs manuall sound syncing later dioring finishing process)
Step 4 - Now I have to start digesting: keywording, rating, editing.

The problem - I need to convert those untouched Non-Synced Video Clips into the container wich allows further editing of soundtrack (I dont want to loose my keywording and tagging).

In that case I need container to treat the Video as Data some homogenous object:
Syncronized Clip
Multicam Clip
or
Compound Clip Container will do, they seems tha same object with some differencies in properties.

Here is the screenshot of the situation (who knows, maybe this case will save smb in future)
Attachments:

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 02:04 #112847

• Ayapov

Tom Wolsky wrote: It’s helpful sometimes to open a clip container to adjust the clip sync. You can do this to any clip, not only sync clip containers.

Yes, that's a good point. In the case of one of the 3 containers (Syncronized Clip
Multicam Clip, Compound Clip), this is possible.

Please specify one point - how to change the sound in a normal video clip without losing keywords, rating, roles and markers? Maybe I'm stuck where I shouldn't be? And everything is much easier with sound substitution on already tagged video clip?

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 02:22 #112848

• Ayapov

Carsten Orlt wrote: There is no batch syncing in FCP. And I’m w Ben that creating compounds for syncing is a bad idea. Specially for that amount of clips. When you sync clips in FCP it actually creates a special type of clip which kind of behaves similar to a compound in the sense that you can open it and manually manipulate the relationship of the video and any number of audio clips synced. Do you have matching TC on the video and audio that you need to sync? If yes get ’Sync & Link’ from Intelligent assistant. Expensive but it will save so much time that it pays for itself on the first job just by saved man hours. It is apart from Plural eyes the only batch syncing app I know. If you don’t have matching Tc unfortunately the manual way of one by one is the only way I know inside of FCP.

Carlsten, thats it!

1. No batch sync or batch compound and other type of conversion in FCPX - oh we have to accept it((
2. Yes, those tricky Suncronized Clips)) sad it is no way to create them only one-by-one manually or as input from other software like PE.
3. No TC - mix of Sony video cameras, DJI Action Cams and Iphone footage with reference sound + Tascam DR 10 L Lavaliers
4. OMG! Man you are genious. Well just read the description on S&L software:

Avoid synchronizing rushes completely

With Sync-N-Link you can edit the entire project with camera audio and substitute the multi-track audio after editorial work is complete. This is a unique Sync-N-Link feature that eliminates the entire pre-edit synchronizing of rushes completely.

Yes expensive, but thats the most close and expensive solution. it's time to shake up the producers a little to knock out some cash.

Anyway - Carsten - you are the man thanks a lot for clear understanding of my situation. Oh I feel so much better already! Hope this post collect the real life info - acting like a warning note for other respected FCPX editors.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 03:08 #112849

• Ayapov
Hmm, the 1.0.71 sync-n-link app demo from official wabsite not starting on Catalina OSX with this system message: "The developer of this app needs to update it to work with this version of macOS. Contact the developer for more information."

But anyway, the idea of some script doing mass-conversion is ingenious

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 05:43 #112852

Select the clip and use Clip>Open Clip. It opens into the timeline, and you can access the video and audio components separately.

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 05:49 #112853

Just to be clear: SYNC-N-LINK X only works with identical Timecode on both Video and Audio!

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 06:06 #112854

• Ayapov

Tom Wolsky wrote: Select the clip and use Clip>Open Clip. It opens into the timeline, and you can access the video and audio components separately.

You know what, Tom?

Tried "Clip>Open Clip" and it works!

Seems that I make so much mess out of nothing 😅 So fcpx treat everything as a container, not only compounds or synced clips and multicam.

Thanks everybody for your input! Sometimes we need somebody to guide us out of the woods of editing room

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 06:58 #112855

• Ayapov

Carsten Orlt wrote: Just to be clear: SYNC-N-LINK X only works with identical Timecode on both Video and Audio!

Good, thanks Carsten, we use a lot of action cams last year in addition to main camera, so we found out that documentary and wildlife needs more attention to sound department, due to vast amounts of footage. The lesson taught

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 11:53 #112857

when I say 'project' in the below I mean what FCP calls a project - timeline
also the below is 'out of my head' without double checking everything so if anybody spots a mistake please speak out

Thinking of your problem makes me realise you have one hell of a situation in front of you.
Because there is one problem we haven't even talked about. Your thinking that if you create a container and keyword etc this one you can later adjust the content within and not loose the keywords etc is a nice idea BUT there is one big problem. When you edit any clip (including Multicam or synced clips into a project they become NEW independent entities for FCP. The reason behind this, and it's a very good idea for lots of reasons, is that you can move, copy etc a project and all necessary information about its clips is contained inside the project. But this means of course that to change the content of a sync clip in a project you can only change it in the project, and your original in the library stays unchanged!
The only exception from this are Compound clips. They stay 'alive' meaning if you change the contents of the original compound clip in the library all occurrences in any project it is used in change as well. That’s why there is the 'snapshot' function when duplicating project as it is the only way to freeze this project and all its compounds to prohibit changes when changing the original compound(s).

And this is not all. Every time you edit say a sync clip into your project, and I mean every time even when using diff parts, they all become independent. So you can't go to the first instance of your sync clip in any given project and change the content and then expect that all occurrence throughout the project will update as well. They will not. So every synced clip that is not correct coming from PE needs to be corrected BEFORE you edit it into a project, because otherwise you don't just have to change one sync clip but every instance of it in your project(s), and that’s a real nightmare.

Right now I do not see any other way but to put in the work and manually correct incorrect synced clip and manually sync clips one-by-one inside FCP for all the clips that PE wasn’t able to find a match. I highly recommend to create unique sync clips instead of Compounds for the above reasons. Because FCP has to track the compounds throughout the library they are are way more possibilities for errors causing library issues, specially when you are starting to have many project versions.

I do not know if Premiere, Avid or Resolve (or any other NLE) would be able to do what you want to save time and get editing and clean up stuff later. I doubt they do but I might be wrong.

sorry for not better news!

How to mass-convert videos and Syncronized Clips to Compound Clips containers? 22 Feb 2021 14:35 #112860

• Ayapov

Carsten Orlt wrote: Your thinking that if you create a container and keyword etc this one you can later adjust the content within and not loose the keywords etc is a nice idea BUT there is one big problem. When you edit any clip (including Multicam or synced clips into a project they become NEW independent entities for FCP.
The only exception from this are Compound clips. They stay 'alive' meaning if you change the contents of the original compound clip in the library all occurrences in any project it is used in change as well. That’s why there is the 'snapshot' function when duplicating project as it is the only way to freeze this project and all its compounds to prohibit changes when changing the original compound(s).

Right now I do not see any other way but to put in the work and manually correct incorrect synced clip and manually sync clips one-by-one inside FCP for all the clips that PE wasn’t able to find a match. I highly recommend to create unique sync clips instead of Compounds for the above reasons. Because FCP has to track the compounds throughout the library they are are way more possibilities for errors causing library issues, specially when you are starting to have many project versions.

sorry for not better news!

It is really sad that Synchronized clips are not inherit properties and stamped on the timeline of project.
It is always better to see a real picture of the situation.

I am finished with PE and now tested different approaches to editing workflow
- Most critical A-roll with lavalier about 80% is ok with PE, 20% of footage needs manual sync (Probably I still need to covert those 10% to Compounds Clips).
- The other footage is b-roll and aerial

Yes, if we open Video Clip (Clip>Open Clip) and trying to make some changes - the warning window popping out, not shure what this mean (screen shot attached). Never seen such a message before

Attachments:

Last edit: by peteramwiggins.
  • Page: