fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 15:30 #113113

I would like to disable or delete many of the fonts that I will probably never use in FCPX (Misadventures, Phosphate, Strenuous, etc.) but I cannot find them on my Mac.

They do not show up in Font Book as well as a search of the computer's hard drive.

Is there a way to do this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 16:04 #113115

Strenuous is a 57.5 kb file located in the FCP package. (Final Cut Pro > Content > Frameworks > Flexo.frameworks > Versions > A > Resources > Fonts) but it's also there in Motion and iMovie. You'll find the other offensive fonts there, too.

You can remove them but be advised you're monkeying with the FCP application bundle itself and it may fail to launch at all at a later date because it cannot locate something that should natively be there.

Another thing.... If you're tasked to work on a project someone supplies you where they HAVE used one of the fonts you removed you'll be screwed using a font FCP substitutes for the missing ones. Seems to be you're inviting a whole lot of headache there hunting down and removing a few fonts from the application itself to really any overall benefit. Cull system fonts but never application embedded ones.

Last edit: by VTCmedia.

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 16:14 #113119

One more thing to add to VTCMedia. When the application updates the fonts will probably reappear.

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 16:43 #113121

Interesting ... I see nothing in the Fonts folder following the path that you've suggested, VTCMedia, both for FCPX and Motion - I do not have iMovie on this Mac. I am running Mojave (10.14.6) and FCPX (10.4.10). Perhaps my older system is why?

If I was able to see the font files, rather than delete, I would move the files to another folder so that I could return them if I ran into any problems in the future.

But thank you both for your feedback. Good points to consider. I guess I will leave things as is.

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 18:30 #113123

I located them using EasyFind (free app that'll dig into apps and project files to show hidden files) but you can find them manually by holding CONTROL and click FCP app to Show Package Contents.
Attachments:

Disable/Delete FCPX Fonts? 05 Mar 2021 19:01 #113125

Thanks for the Easy Find tip. I was able to find them that way but I had to check "Include invisible Files & Folders." They are in Library > Fonts but not visible when I simply open that folder.

I think I'm just going to leave everything where it is.

Thanks for taking the time to help with this!

• Page: