fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New User Just Saying Hi 06 Mar 2021 20:50 #113151

Hi everyone. I'm a new user to FCP and am currently running the trial version to see if it will work for me. I'm a designer and photographer for work, but find myself creating as many videos as I do photographs.

I started with Adobe years ago but switched to Resolve with version 14. I like it, but I'm not making feature films and don't use a lot of the features it offers. Most of my projects are under 10 minutes, and require a quick turn around - record a few videos, edit them and have them queued up to email and scheduled to post to YouTube within a few hours. I don't do a lot of advanced color grading or audio production and am able to work quicker in FCP.

Like speed ramps...they're ridiculously quick in FCP. And I LOVE the range tool. It's perfect for when someone spoke at different levels, and parts of the track need to be adjusted. So much faster than having to add keyframes manually.

I see a lot of YouTube videos where people say they want to switch from FCP to Resolve, but things like these are features that will benefit me on a daily basis and makes me want to switch the other way. I wonder if others feel this way too. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New User Just Saying Hi 06 Mar 2021 23:56 #113153

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419

Skippermark wrote: ...new user to FCP and am currently running the trial version to see if it will work for me....I started with Adobe years ago but switched to Resolve with version 14. I like it, but I'm not making feature films and don't use a lot of the features it offers. Most of my projects are under 10 minutes, and require a quick turn around...I don't do a lot of advanced color grading or audio production and am able to work quicker in FCP...I see a lot of YouTube videos where people say they want to switch from FCP to Resolve, but things like these are features that will benefit me on a daily basis and makes me want to switch the other way. I wonder if others feel this way too...

I formerly edited in Premiere for years, then FCP since about 2013, and am now studying Resolve.

FCP is really good at quick turnaround -- events, news or documentary projects with high shooting ratios where rapid curation and organization is crucial. It's by far the smoothest, more response NLE I've used. The combination of skimmer and database integration is great.

It can't match Resolve's color features but there are various plugins. Unfortunately those plugins can present a problem in a collaborative environment since everyone must have those. In the current FxPlug 3 framework, those plugins run within the process address space of FCP and can sometimes destabilize it. This should be improved with FxPlug 4 which is mandatory for Apple Silicon plugin developers.

Resolve has built-in capability roughly equal to Neat Video, Imagenomic Portraiture (for skin processing), CoreMelt's TrackX and Lock-n-Load stabilizer. It can also trim all clips in a timeline with user-definable extra head/tail frames which is vital for remote collaborative work. However it can be quite complex and the UI takes more screen real estate than FCP. For just cutting, it's pretty fast and efficient -- vastly better than Premiere on the same Mac hardware. For color finishing and Fx, it is extremely GPU-intensive. Resolve's rate of feature development in has been very rapid the past few versions.

Like you, I've seen several people mention moving to Resolve. Not sure why that is, esp. for solo editors on Mac who already have FCP. In my case it's an entire team and the priorities are improved collaborative workflow without cloud-based subscriptions, higher quality color finishing without plugins and support for BRAW.

Last edit: by joema.

New User Just Saying Hi 08 Mar 2021 23:17 #113217

For color finishing and Fx, it is extremely GPU-intensive.

Yes! My high end MacBook Pro struggles to play smoothly sometimes if there's a lot of FX. I have a higher end gaming PC, and it actually runs better. I think because it's a desktop and an Nvidia card with lots of RAM. Resolve loves the video RAM.

I like FCP a lot, but I edited a couple full videos with it and found myself longing for some of the features that I use a lot in DR, mainly related to audio. I figured out how to make the videos compliant with the CALM act using the multimeter, but it's definitely not as clean to use as in DR, and I really miss the ability to normalize audio. For quick YouTube videos, this is a great way to get the audio to a set level.

• Page: