fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 14:04 #113170

Hello guys,
I'm a new user located in Sweden (I pre-apologize for eventual bad language).
I produce home made family and travel videos with FCP 10.4.8 on a 2014 iMac with Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6 (i7, 32GB memory).
Sharing the video file (29.97 fps) to my LaCie BDXL blu-ray writer has worked great for several years.

Since this January, I receive an error message after rendering the video, it's when the writer is about to start the burning.
FCPX says:
"The share operation Blu-ray has failed. Could not create the disc (Disc Creation Error, An error occurred trying to create your disc"

I have not upgraded my hardware or software.
I have tried to make the export to another newer Verbatim blu-ray writer, with the same result (error).
I have tried to use another batch of BD-R discs, with the same result (error).
I have tried to share another material, a bunch of still photos, to a BD-R disc, and that worked perfectly with the LaCie writer.

My own conclusion is that the problem is in FCPX and not in my hardware.
I have been advised not to upgrade my OS.

I am very thankful for any help you can provide me with, cause I'm totally out of ideas.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 15:23 #113172

Try exporting a disk image from FCP to your hard drive, and then using the Finder to burn the disk image to the disc.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 15:57 #113179

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 197
Hello Bellman, Welcome to the fcp.co forums.
Macs have a history of not playing nice with BD's. As Jobs said "a bag of hurts". His objections really had to do with the DRM protection schemes that cause problems, not the actual technology.
Macs have been known to hang (~66%) while doing the final conversion of writing to optical disc and BD discs are the worst. Not sure why you would only experience issues now and not the past, did you update maybe?
Have you tried to export the BD image to the desktop and then burning from the image file (.img)? This separates the actual burning/writing of the disc from the creation of the disc image. Seems to help. This is my standard operating procedure for making any optical disc. Not only does it get past the hang and errors, it also means that you have the disc image itself so you can make additional copies at any time in the future without having to open FCP and re-export, just burn new copy.
I have been using Roxio Toast Titanium with BD plugin, for the actual burning.
Try shutting down your Mac fully, this will clear out any cache files and may correct any system corruption. Restarting also frees up memory and system resources so just restarting may solve your problem.
Some may advise re-installing FCP, but the actual problem is in system "CoreServices" (I think?) "Create-a-disc" programming, so if I'm correct, would require reinstalling macOS, but this may not correct the issues as this is something that has been going on for years.
Best advice, create BD or any optical disc image to the desktop, burn separately from desktop image, do not burn optical discs directly from FCP.

Hope this Helps, Greg

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 16:58 #113182

Thanks a lot for your answers.
I have not updated anything before the problem began, that is quite annoying.

I will try what you suggested and I will get back here with some feedback.

Burning BD from desktop may cause another behavior (menues, chapters...) when i put the disc into my BD player by the TV, we'll see about that.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 17:22 #113184

The chapters and menus are as created in FCP. The disk image is a complete Blu-ray Disc.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 17:56 #113185

Since I never had any problems with my gear, everything in troubleshooting is new to me.
Thanks again, will try to make a new blu-ray on desktop.
Earlier I made a master file and that won't work on BD in my home video blu-ray player...

Another way is to buy Roxio Toast with the blu-ray plugin (about $85 here in Sweden) and try again.
But I will start with a blu-ray made on desktop.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 18:06 #113186

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
FCP's optical image burning has always been and is still flakey. I have learned to always use the disk image method proposed by Tom.

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 19:47 #113190

Creating a disc image from FCP did not work.
I got the same error message as I did before, (see my start issue) now without any BD writer involved.

I guess I will have to go through all steps presented on the Apple support site for FCP (except updating to 10.5).

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 07 Mar 2021 22:18 #113199

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi Bellman
Toast is a good burning program, but a lousy NLE. You need the BD .img or Master File, to be created in FCP before you would use Toast, so I'd wait till I had an image to burn. Toast made it easier to burn discs especially multiple copies.
If I'm remembering right, you can also take a Master File (completed project) and burn to BD inside Toast (please check as I'm doing this from glitzy HDD in my head). I normally create the BD image in FCP and then burned with Toast, but as I remember you can also create a blu-ray from .mov files and other video and photo files.
As Tom says, when you "Share" export the BD to the desktop from FCP, all the necessary files and structure is created within the .img itself.

There are some addition things to try.
Shutdown your Mac (This clears out old caches and cruff)
Open the project in a different user and try to export to desktop.
Relaunch FCP and remove preferences by holding down the Option&Command keys while launching and delete preferences
Make sure to have minimum of 15-25% free space on drives.
Check if all plugins are up to date
You could run EtreCheck, a free app that checks for issues.

Mostly I still think this is a bug. It always seems to occur just as the Mac is involving the disc creation code. This used to be 32bit coding, but I think it got updated to 64bit in the last couple of years.?? Still a well known problem. Sometimes it just works!

Maybe give some more info like specs on Mac, on project size, codecs, etc…

Hope you get it working
Best, Greg

iMac / FCPX 10.4.8 refusing export to Blu-ray 08 Mar 2021 20:47 #113216

Forget FCP funkiness and buy Toast & the plugin that gets you to Bluray and do any, if not all, of these any you'll have a better product than anything FCP can spit out.

1 - Modify those gawd awful cheesy menus. (PSD files in the application package. Change size and position locations.)
2 - Burn DVD as custom and crank bit rate to max. (Drops from 2 to 1 hr playback. Use dual layer disc if you need two hrs. Quality improvement is obvious)
3 - Burn Bluray at 26 mbps instead of standard 16.
4 - You can put 20 mins Bluray video on std. DVD & forty mins if dual layer DVD.
5 - Master video as Disc Image first to review & test playback then burn from that ISO image.
6 - Set Delete Converted Items preferences to Never. You can modify the menu or titles or spelling and as long as the original master file hasn't been changed it will create a new ISO file in a few minutes and not have to remaster from scratch as the disc files have already been rendered and mastered.

Last edit: by VTCmedia.
  • Page: