fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

updates Question 12 Mar 2021 16:06 #113360

• petersxs
  • petersxs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
<Hello , i am using FCP10.4.6 with Hgh Sierra 10.13.6 on a Macpro 2013 -12 Core,. ... its running fine and stable. i am usually the" don't change a running system guy" and don't update in mid project . now i would like to update FCP , i'm not in mid project, got time . I am specially interested in the improved proxy workflow enhancements in the latest updates (and maybe some bugfixes, hope dies last;) Now the big question is Mojave , Catalina or Big Sur ? some time ago i have read , "Big Sur is only for apple silicon" which i don't have, recently i read some positive stuff about Big Sur, more responsive, better than Catalina, which i read mostly bad comments about ... What are you experiences , what would you do ? 10.4.9 on Mojave or 10.5 and above on Catalina or straight to BigSur ? i use plugins from Fxfactory,motionvfx, colorfinal,and neat video. the raid is a thunderbolt2 - 8 bay . and the video output is a Blackmagic Ultastudio express on tb2 .. thanks for your help

Please Log in to join the conversation.

updates Question 12 Mar 2021 17:07 #113361

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 639
I recommend Big Sur, runs great on my iMac Pro.

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 14:57 #114045

We're running the same computer I think. I've been running on Mojave 10.14.6 without any problems for over a year now. Been using FCPX 10.4.8.
I'm now in the same position: no mid-projects, plenty of time, and wanna make the jump to Big Sur. Have you done it yet?

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 17:24 #114048

• petersxs
Hi , nope just jumped to Catalina. and FCP 10.5.2, clean install, all running fine .
I read too many things about Big Sur. I have a lot of plugins and external devices.
I will wait until I get an apple silicon -whatever comes next )
greets Peter

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 17:29 #114049

Ah. I heard so many problems with Catalina and that they were fixed in Big Sur. But I’ve been waiting to make sure.

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 17:33 #114050

• petersxs
no problems here so far , but its hard to tell , just did tests , no real project now, only doing live stuff due to covid.

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 17:35 #114051

I keep forgetting: with a Time Machine backup we can always go right back to Mojave, right?

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 17:37 #114052

• petersxs
I think so, never did that, myself .. ( revert back to an older OS.)

updates Question 19 Apr 2021 18:09 #114053

Not from Big Sur. I think that path’s cut off.

updates Question 06 Jun 2021 21:59 #114873

I did an upgrade on my 2013 MBP from Catalina to Big Sur last July. Prior to running the installer, I cloned the laptop with Carbon Copy Cloner to an external SSD, just in case.

Didn't care for Big Sur at the time (gave it a month or so), performance wasn't great, so I blew it up and cloned the Catalina system back to the laptop just fine. Haven't tried that with a Time Machine backup, but the CCC option has worked for me many times in the past. Now I'm about to start testing for production with a new M1 Mini and need to get comfortable with Big Sur. Currently in the process of investigating all the Apple Silicon compatilbilty issues.

• Page: