fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 25 Mar 2021 07:42 #113659

• petersxs
  • petersxs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi , In a lot of posts covering the slow updates cycle of fcpx the is a lot discussion of "new features"-
for me there a still a lot of missing essentials in fcpx for everyday work.
like :
1.) its still not possible to manual assign the audio configuration to lets say "2 Stereo and 3 mono " for exampl . Automatically , letting fcpx "guess" is possible , but if fcpx guess is wrong you can't change it . only for example "6 mono or 3 stereo " but live offers more than that. for me this is a nog if it can be done automatically but not manual. what do you think ?
2.) the audio mixing with roles is a nice idea, but not very well thought through, like monitoring fx in a role compound ) you have to open it loosing the context .
3.) Speaking of compounds , nice stuff, but the effects handling& monitoring is also not well thought through when a lot of fx on a secondary (layer ) also effect the bottom layer and you "have to" create compounds ... also loosing the context of the composition when opening compounds to adjust parameters .
these are just a few, points i come around almost every day , mot important to me as any "new" features.
what are your needs and essential missing functions?
greets peter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 25 Mar 2021 12:57 #113661

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 614
1. What audio standard are you trying to conform to?
2. You mean the limitation of having to create a Compound, yes.
3. Current system works fine for me, and you can change that behavior in Motion.

Most important to me is a professional mixer with buses, closed captioning for MXF broadcast files, and lack of reasonable collaboration tools.

Also, this subject is being done to death lately, which I think is an important statement. FCP isn't getting any real updates and still lacks vital functions, Apple has dropped their authorized training and certification program, lots of us are considering Resolve if Apple doesn't do something serious this year. The novelty is wearing thin, time to make it "Pro" like the name says.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 25 Mar 2021 13:25 #113665

• petersxs
1. What audio standard are you trying to conform to?
hi Ben , i am not trying to conform to another audio standard, what I goes on my nerves is the fact that the audio configuration cannot be changed manually. for example : on the Blackmagic disrecorders or similar you get 16 embedded audio channels on which I record different audio sources, mics, music etc.. some are mono ,some are stereo. in Fcpx I con only choose between. 16 mono Or 8 Stereo, but nothing in between . I can let fcpx guess on import ,, and sometimes it gets it right an I have my , for example 6 mono tracks and 2 stereo tracks.. but. if fcp does not "guess" it right , I have no way to change it . I keep an extra old Mac with elcapitain and fcp7 for that purpose, because in fcp7 you can say" these 2 tracks are Stereo , this is mono and so on .... with 2 ours of program time (which I normally do) the whole import export thing can get quite time consuming an annoying , and you need an old mac with fcp7 ! everything is ok if fcpx "guess". is right , but its wrong quite often .  know what I mean.?

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 26 Mar 2021 11:04 #113677

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Send me a file, I don't experience that. Then again, why would you put 16 discreet channels of audio on one video clip to start with?

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 26 Mar 2021 11:23 #113682

• petersxs
Hi Ben, FCPx just does not have the option of grouping two Audio-Channels (out of more) to one Stereo Channel . FCP classic can.

for your question :, I am recording Theater an comedy live performances , an the Audio Channels are iso channels ( mics- solo- artists. music playback stereo , ambience mics. etc.. for remix in postproduction you see , some are mono , some are stereo . they are recorded together with the picture ( either on the live cut or on an iso camera with Blackmagic disk recorders ( embedded )

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 26 Mar 2021 22:19 #113694

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
All those audio channels should be recorded to an audio recorder each independent, not bundled into one video clip. I'd never shoot like that.

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 27 Mar 2021 00:33 #113696

You should consider the possibility that Blackmagic is actually not correctly coding the audio channels in their disc recorders.

I just did a test where I exported a multi role project with audio as 1 stereo, 3x mono, plus additional stereo channel.
When I import this into FCP I do not have to select the 'separate audio channels' option to get the correct assignment of stereo and mono channels.
Importing the same movie into Davinci Resolve also creates the correct channel assignment of stereo and mono tracks exactly as created.
So you are correct that you can't change the stereo/mono assignment for individual tracks, but if the movie file is coded correctly FCP interprets the channels correctly too (as does Davinci Resolve)
So maybe you have to look at how you setup the disc recorder, or as Ben said record the audio externally where you can assign the channels as you wish.

you could also look into (haven’t tested or check wether resolve can change audio config on single clips) importing your master into resolve, change the audio config there and export for then to import into fcp. Not ideal but could be a workaround.

Last edit: by Carsten Orlt.

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 27 Mar 2021 07:17 #113701

• petersxs
Hi, thanks Carsten and Ben for your replys and inputs , but I guess you are missing the point a little .
it' not about " who is to blame" (blackmagic or apple ) and where do things go wrong.
We're not living in a perfect world. Its about the ability to "Change it" in the edit software and process.

@Carsten : blackmagic is correctly coding the Channel as 16 discrete mono Audio tracks, like a 16 Track analog Audio Tape recorder. The recording device does not know what is mono or stereo, to stay in the analog world (for example purpose) , the mono/stereo definition is done on the(analog) Mixer, panning L/R . so it just would be niche to define mono/ stereo in Fcp who for example whin assigning roles, in absence of a mixer ;) .. the workaround you described with Davinci is excactly what i do in fcp7 as described earlier. which i would like to leave out ,

Other edit software can do that. I am just missing the function in fcpx. so i don't have to do
workarounds.. especially because fcpx can do it "guessing". i would just like control off t .

@Ben : of course there are other ways to record Audio, ( i'm doing this job for over 30 Years, with all kinds of equipment ) but this is also not the point. The workflow of recording picture and 16Tracks at the same time, eliminating any drift has proven very good, ( everthing is recorded twice,redundant anyway for safety) On two tracks is the live mix, on the other 14 are the iso channels, always sync to picture , being able to open the mix and repair for instance .
I see fcpx as a tool for editing, and in this process i like to change and define things as needed and as I like them and i not to change my workflow according to what fcpx can do ( at the moment;)

so this is just a request for a function that e every other software can do ( in fcp7 it was
: select 2tracks - link- done ) .

this is specific to my needs , there'a lot more to improve fcpx- thats why i started this thread.

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 27 Mar 2021 10:55 #113702

Sorry wasn’t meaning to make it a blame game. But as you after over 30 years working in the business I know that some things could be solved at either end sometimes.
And of course you’re correct that it would be great if FCP could do what you want.
I myself have a few things that I would like to have. changed or added but all we can do is use the feedback function to let Apple know.
In the meantime I just work out solutions to get the job done. Way more efficient to deal with what you got then to tear your hair out about what doesn’t work. Getting to old for that :-)

Essential missing function and bugs in fcp versus "new feature" 06 Apr 2021 14:51 #113833

• petersxs
Hi Carsten, im with you on that; too old to rip my air out, I just don't like to be forced to work in a certain way . a tool is still a tool and i'd like to simply say these two files are stereo. just do it. like any other software , especially because fcpx can do it , (uessing automatic but not manual) but well, l as long as I havefFCP7 ;). Nothing beats progress ;). . Same with relink.A warning is okay . "wrong file type or whatever " but not relinking it is NOT OK!I I miss the button "thanks for warning, I know what I am doing, just do it. I am having a problem now not being able to relink an old project.. just posted it.. Do you have any idea to that.?
Is there a force relink tool around somewhere ?
what do you miss. ON FCPX ?
greets peter

• Page: