fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

10 Libraries consolodation: relink/move media question with existing projects 30 Mar 2021 11:50 #113757

Hi, I'd appreciate any advice around this please....

Situation:
10 existing FCPX 10.5.2 Libraries totalling 2TB of 4k footage, all mp4 or .mov from Sony A6600 and DJI Actions.
Libraries are all self contained, were all created by 'copy media to library' but not transcoded from various external drives.
All have a Project or two in them, each a rough cut that took 2 long days of work.
All original files have now been consolidated to one TB3 drive, probably with the same folder structure from what was used to import them into the FCPX Libraries, but who can remember what they did 6 months ago ;)

Desired state 1:
In all of the Libraries and rough cut Projects, I'd like to relink all of the media, (used or not), to the 'original files' that are now stored on an external TB3 drive, and then delete those in within the Library. And then edit like that. Lite easy Libraries referencing one media source on the TB3.
- I'm worried/don't want to just delete those in the Library and then use Relink to the files on the TB3 as I'm worried it won't work in any automatic way and I'll end up manually scrolling through files and reconnecting them manually.
- No files have been renamed since, but all 4 cameras used have rotated and produced the same file names multiple times. Sometimes over 50 times!

So any help appreciated thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

10 Libraries consolodation: relink/move media question with existing projects 30 Mar 2021 15:58 #113762

ReLink definitely doesn't work, so the best idea i can come up with is to change all Libraries Media Storage to the external TB3 drive, and then consolidate them so that fcpx copies all media over to the external TB3 drive in individual folders.
Then run Duplicate File Finder over that drive to see what duplication exists and then find a way to use just one copy of each from there....

10 Libraries consolodation: relink/move media question with existing projects 30 Mar 2021 22:09 #113770

I think because you have a huge amount of identical file name clips your only way is to consolidate to external drive and accepted that there are duplicate files (and I would create separate media folders for each lib on the destination). Because should you delete the duplicates with other software how do you know back in FCP where and which was the file for any of the now offline clips.

The only thing you could try (honestly if you have the disc space I wouldn’t really unless you have lots of time and are prepared to run into dead ends) is to create one new master library with its media location set to your TB 3 drive. Create one event in the new Lib called Original Media. Then at the same time open one by one your current Libraries and copy all clips from whatever events you have into the one new Original Media Event in the new Master Lib. FCP checks whether it already has a clip in a library you copy to and relinks the new copy to that. When you have all clips and projects in the new master lib then you run the consolidation command for the new master Lib media. The idea is the let FCP work out what is a duplicate and what not.
BUT that is the theory and it might be too much to ask when you have so many duplicate file names.

I had your problem with 4-5 duplicates so I don’t want to imagine having 50 plus..

10 Libraries consolodation: relink/move media question with existing projects 05 Apr 2021 11:29 #113810

I cannot think of a way to do what you would like in any kind of automatiC manner. I would recommend doing whatever work you want with the existing projects in the existing libraries, and change your workflow going forward with new libraries and projects.

What is the goal of this re arrangement at this point? With the existing libraries and originals you can produce finished output.
There will be too much time spent randomly trying stuff to do anything creative with the combined result.

10 Libraries consolodation: relink/move media question with existing projects 07 Apr 2021 11:33 #113849

Thanks Carsten, thats what I ended up doing. One new library, opened each existing library, created a new blank Event, consolidated all into another Event, Move that event to new library, consolidate Media.

HOWEVER, I would have lost 27 clips as FCPX handled it well until I had two different DJI cameras shooting on the same DATE with the same Sequntial NAMES (eg: DJI_0547). In the consolidation FCPX organised things into new dated folders, but when the same file name was due to be copied into an existing dated folder, it didn't copy it, thinking it was already there, it did not seem to compares files size or first frame comparison etc.

Luckily with my InfoSec hacking background I am extremely untrusting of software, so used Duplicate File Finder and Beyond Compare to cross verify and double check before deleting the original media from the old Libraries.
Beyond Compare is awesome, quickly showed me the 27 clips out of 3,000 odd that were different in size etc even though they have the same names.

Anyway, lessons learn't, rename files before importing etc etc

Now I can have one large searchable database of all clips, a few weeks of hard work now means years of benefits being able to quickly pull up exactly the shot I want with a few keywords...

• Page: