fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QUESTION; FINAL CUT PRO USES 05 Apr 2021 21:06 #113818

Good Day,

If I purchase a used Macbook Pro from someone who has the Final Cut Pro app installed will I be able to use that application as well? Or will I still need to purchase the app?

Thank you!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

QUESTION; FINAL CUT PRO USES 05 Apr 2021 21:17 #113819

The license is not transferable. The application can’t be legally sold.

QUESTION; FINAL CUT PRO USES 06 Apr 2021 15:59 #113835

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 197
Hi Star, Welcome to the fcp.co forums
Tom is right, paid software is not transferrable and should have been removed from Mac before it was sold.
However, almost all software on your Mac should be usable. None will be updatable as the purchases are tied to an Apple ID account. So the version(s) is locked until you decide to purchase FCPX outright, in essence a trial version for free with unlimited time to use, or until the first time you need to redownload and re-install the app. This will occur at the most inopportune time.
One issue, if the Mac you bought is not upgradable to the latest OS version, then you may have to jump through hoops to purchase the last version that would work with you Mac. Latest FCPX versions require later OS and will not work will earlier OS,s. Suitable versions are not directly available on the App Store. Tom has posted a method of purchasing older versions of apps.
Best of Luck and have some fun!
Greg

• Page: