fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 14:05 #113832

• petersxs
  • petersxs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi, i am having a problem relinking an old project where the media files were stored omg a nasal. the library was on a raid drive on the Mac, maybe some top folder on age was was renamed, files wornt relink on opening g , , well now comes the crazy part. so I thought I relink all the files with the relink function.. but no! fop says. all names are found but the filetype is different( original contains no audio !! but it does contain audio !! it was the original clip--! I relinked to the FCPX.Files Folder that fop created on import ! those were the same. files . they have not changed . Anyone have a solution to this problem? force relink or something ?

thank you !

Please Log in to join the conversation.

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 17:57 #113837

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419
If you pick a single file and try to relink, it will give more detailed info about why the relink failed. Do that and state the exact error message, maybe we can help further.

Also - before click "OK" on the relink dialog, look at the bottom of that window. It will show the previous disk volume name and complete pathname to the file. That is what it's looking for. Normally relink can search the entire drive to locate the files, but it you have duplicate media filenames (e.g, several files named c0001.mp4) it must be pointed to the exact folder. That is an important reason to never import duplicated filenames.

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 18:30 #113838

• petersxs
Thanks Joema, the error message is " the Original file contains no Audio , the new file does contain Audio " Reality is ,both contain Audio, and it was linked a few years ago, the files were not changed ! this also happens when i point one file directly to the same file one to one .

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 18:32 #113839

The fix i have used in the past for this issue is if you do know where the files live and it gives you an error, Just import the files as if they were new. When I do this....the old edits link right up with the correct clips and all is solved.

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 19:16 #113840

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

petersxs wrote: Thanks Joema, the error message is " the Original file contains no Audio , the new file does contain Audio " Reality is ,both contain Audio, and it was linked a few years ago, the files were not changed...

When a media file is imported, metadata for that is stored in the library. Part of that includes audio config. For some reason it believes the original file had no audio. Unfortunately there is no way to or change that metadata since it is embedded within a SQLite table and encoded in binary format.

However -- you can export an XML for one of those non-linked clips, then in Finder rename it to *.txt, then open it in TextEdit and examine. It should look something like the below.

That will help verify the library metadata truly indicates the original file hand no audio. The first XML below has no audio. The 2nd is the same clip with audio.

You could hypothetically edit the fcpxml to add the audio info, then import that to FCP, but that by itself won't help. The reason is the original metadata is still stored in the SQL table inside the library. You could delete the clip within FCP and import the XML, then relink. That might work but it would require a lot of batch search/replace operations on many files, lots of testing, scaling up test from a few files to many files, and is not guaranteed to work.

Just looking at the exported clip XML might let you verify the pathname and filename is as you expect. Maybe there were multiple versions of those files.

XML OF CLIP WITH NO AUDIO:

<resources> <asset id="r1" name="C0055_34172" uid="2F697A601D6031E828C0C907BFDD7543" src="file:///Users/username/Desktop/TestMediaNoAudio/C0055_34172.mp4" start="0s" duration="1786785/30000s" hasVideo="1" format="r2"> <metadata>

XML OF CLIP WITH AUDIO:

<fcpxml version="1.8"> <resources> <asset id="r1" name="C0055_34172" uid="CBB08AA5C1187FBB29745B517A63D072" src="file:///Users/username/Desktop/TestMedia/C0055_34172.MP4" start="0s" duration="5360355/90000s" hasVideo="1" format="r2" hasAudio="1" audioSources="1" audioChannels="2" audioRate="48000">
<metadata>

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 20:26 #113841

• petersxs
than you very much ! I wil try his . ...... one some proxy files the trick with just importing worked ...

another problem are the title fx , there is an adjustment layer used in this old project m that is different from mine .. my adjustment layer is called Adjustment layer .. the one in the projects , and there are many ..., not one, are called._"Blank Adjustment" with some color correction in it . ist there a way to relink title Fx? I tried to open my Adjustment layer in Motion and renaming a copy to Blank Adjustment, but this did not work ,, Any ideas , ?? , copying and pasting all the fx from the old adj Layr to a new one will be very cumbersome .. thanks !

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 06 Apr 2021 20:58 #113842

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
The Motion Fx issue may be caused by not setting the library Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Motion Content to "In Library" at the time the library was archived. Not sure what your options are, maybe others can advise.

force relink ? relink problem with original files. please help 07 Apr 2021 07:50 #113846

Everything would relink again if you can source the original template and place it in your motion template > titles folder again

If the original Motion title template (that's what the 'adjustment layer' effect is) is missing there is no way to create it from the Final Cut data alone.
You can copy paste the effects from the missing template to your 'adjustment layer' template though (as you know)

• Page: