fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lightroom metadata into FCPX? 07 Apr 2021 11:23 #113848

I have about 3,000 wildlife and scenery stills (Sony .ARW) that I'd like to use in a very large FCPX Library (about 40 projects in it when completed).

The images are in Lightroom Classic and I'd like to keyword them and organise them in Collections within Lightroom, plus give them a 1 to 5 star rating.

However this is of limited use if I cant then use the data in FCPX easily. A quick test shows that keywords are not carried across when importing a .arw, they are carried across if I export to a .jpg, however it shows up in the IPTC tab under keywords, but not when I search in the browser or use a Smart Collection search etc.

Is there a trick, hack or software solution that can make hardwork doing Lightroom metadata usable in FCPX please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Lightroom metadata into FCPX? 07 Apr 2021 12:26 #113850

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419

honeybadger wrote: ... Lightroom Classic and I'd like to keyword them and organise them in Collections within Lightroom, plus give them a 1 to 5 star rating.

However this is of limited use if I cant then use the data in FCPX easily...

Your best approach might be convert the LR keywords and ratings to Finder tags, then FCP can import those as keyword collections. How to get LR keywords to Finder tags is not really an FCP issue, but probably someone in a photography forum could help you with this. I'm sure pro photographers on Mac encounter this.

I only know a few things about this. You can directly query LR tags in exported .jpg files using Finder. E.g, for "MyKeyword1", in Finder you can do CMD+F, then in the left-hand drop-down menu pick "Other", then scroll down and add "keywords" as a new Finder search item.

After that in Finder you can do CMD+F and search for Keywords contains "MyKeyWord1". Once located you could use Finder tags to tag each group, which FCP could then read and apply as keyword collections.

NeoFinder can read LR ratings and XMP/IPTC tags in exported .jpg images. It might be able to search those and transfer those to Finder tags. You would have to investigate. NeoFinder is one of the best available Mac utilities, and good for cataloging content across various disconnected hard drives: www.cdfinder.de

There are apparently ways exporting LR ratings/tags can be automated, some of which discussed here:
photo.stackexchange.com/questions/119746...labels-to-mac-finder

Lightroom metadata into FCPX? 07 Apr 2021 13:22 #113852

Thank you as ever....

The fcpx question that an answer will help to solve for me is:

What image format would be best to use regards to quality, manipulation, colouring and panning in fcpx? I will use quite a lot of images in a large variety of ways (stacked, plug ins, fade in and our of colour etc etc)
Is it best to use the raw .arw file, or is only using .jpg's really feasible?

Lightroom metadata into FCPX? 07 Apr 2021 16:39 #113854

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 419
I'd suggest using LR to curate the 3,000 raw stills to the best 5% or so, then do an initial quick polish on those and export them as TIFF and import to FCPX. That enables a rough visual assessment of the corrected photos, sufficient for final selection and integration in the video program.

Once you know the final selection of stills, you can further polish them in FCP or use LR and Photoshop to optimize them, re-import to FCP, match and replace.

The documentaries I've worked on sometimes had 5,000 available stills, but in a video-centric presentation we only used the top 15 to 20 images; the rest was video.

If your presentation envisions being more tilted toward still images, you nonetheless want only the best ones. TIFF has more bit depth than JPG but avoids possible complications from using camera raw or PSD files.

The photo optimization tools in LR and Photoshop are better than in FCP, e.g, you have object removal, the new Photoshop "super resolution" feature, very sophisticated sharpening, etc.

Lightroom metadata into FCPX? 09 Apr 2021 03:15 #113865

Lightroom metadata for a raw file is saved to an XML sidecar file. Hit save or comand-s to save to & generate a sidecar file. I'm not sure if FCP can import or recognize this XML file however. Another option is to have lightroom "convert" the camera raw file to adobe's raw file (DNG). The benefit of DNG is that the metadata is saved within the DNG file rather than as a separate xml file. I convert to DNG and delete the original camera raw files - making the DNG the master file. You could also import to DNG from a memoory card.

After converting to DNG, imputting your settinhs & keywords, highlight the file and hit save to record the settings to the DNG (as you would the sidecar file). Then try importing to FCP.

Hopefully one of those methods will work for you.

• Page: