fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 12 Apr 2021 04:08 #113908

• kikova
  • kikova's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
FCPX crashed and since then I can't open the library containing project - FCP crashes every time I try to open it. It loads a specific event and when it appears to be done fcpx crashes.
Other projects that I have on the same External Hard Drive work.
The problem seems to be with CurrentVersion.fcpevent. I tried deleting it, but after FCPX recovers it, most of the timeline is gone. The backup currentversion.fcpevents have the same issue. The only one that works is 2months old.
Is there a way to fix it? Since i'd be losing a crazy amount of work.
Can I use a tool for data recovery, is it possible that the CurrentVersion.fcpevent from a few days ago is still there?
I've tried Digital Rebellion to no avail.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 12 Apr 2021 16:33 #113916

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 424
What version of FCP, what version of MacOS and what is the year and model of Mac hardware? Also where is the library and data stored, on a locally attached drive? If so what type and is the disk format APFS, HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled), or what?

CurrentVersion.fcpevent is a SQL database file inside the library. There is a separate one for each event and each project. Those should not be manipulated or deleted. There is no data recovery tool for those.

FCP automatically makes full backups of the library and by default puts those in /Movies/Final Cut Backups. They are quite small since they don't contain cache, proxies or render files. You should probably copy those to a safe external storage location to make sure they are preserved, just in case the system stability is degrading.

I'd also suggest use Finder to make a duplicate copy of your current library, if possible. However if the library contains media, transcoded files and cache it may be too large to easily duplicate. That illustrates why using "lean libraries" where media, transcodes and cache are stored externally is a good idea.

After copying those backup libraries to a safe source, I suggest also making a contingency backup of any extremely important files to the same location.

After that, verify you have at least 20% free disk space on each drive volume.

Then you should probably run Disk Utility First Aid on all volumes. To properly run on the boot or system volume, the Mac should be booted in Recovery Mode, else it cannot get a lock on the boot drive to make changes. Starting with Mojave or Catalina, the system volume is presented as two separate partitions. First Aid should be run on each one separately, plus each external drive. To boot in Recovery Mode, hold down CMD+R when powering on the Mac.

If Disk Utility shows any errors or fixes, make a screen shot or photo of those.

You could then try resetting FCP preferences (item 11 on this page) which may help various problems, but it's unlikely to fix a library corruption issue: support.apple.com/en-us/HT203477

FCP data integrity is normally excellent, and corruption problems are very rare, except in cases where there's hardware or system config problems or the library is stored on non-Apple sources like ExFAT or network drives.

After doing the above steps the best general approach is open each FCP backup library and inspect the state of your media and projects in each, then choose the one which has your most recent work and make that your current work library going forward.

If that doesn't help or isn't a possibility, if you are running Time Machine, open that and inspect the various backups of your work library. Try restoring some of those to a safe location, then open them in FCP and inspect the status of the library and projects.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 13 Apr 2021 04:21 #113931

• kikova
First of all, thank you for such a quick reply.

High Siera 10.13.6 ; MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) ; FCPX 10.4.6
The external hard drive where the library is - Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
The data is on a separate hard drive ( Microsoft NTFS )

I've tried launching a different library from the same external hard drive and it works.
Also ran an utility disk check :
Repairing file system.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_hfs -fy -x /dev/rdisk5s2
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy.
Checking extended attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume backups appears to be OK.
File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.

It didn't help.

I've also tried creating a new library, changing the name and copying the files, but as soon as I copy the corrupted currentversion.fcpevent, fcpx crashes upon launch.
I've also tried deleting currentversion.fcpevent , fcpx sort of tries to repair it, eventually launches (0 of 2 items were restored from backup or rebuilt), so most of my work appears blank (grey) and I can't use it.
I'll try loading it through a different Mac that runs Big Sur and the latest fcpx version later today.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 13 Apr 2021 11:08 #113940

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

kikova wrote: ...I've tried launching a different library from the same external hard drive and it works...I've also tried creating a new library, changing the name and copying the files, but as soon as I copy the corrupted currentversion.fcpevent, fcpx crashes upon launch.
I've also tried deleting currentversion.fcpevent , fcpx sort of tries to repair it, eventually launches (0 of 2 items were restored from backup or rebuilt), so most of my work appears blank (grey) and I can't use it.
I'll try loading it through a different Mac that runs Big Sur and the latest fcpx version later today.

In general, do not mess around inside the library. It is undocumented and contains data in a proprietary format. There are multiple CurrentVersion.fcpevent databases, one per project and one per event. There are unknown and undocumented dependencies between them.

FCP should have kept multiple backups for *each* library in /Movies/Final Cut Backups. Safeguard those then try to open them one at a time -- for your library of interest.

If by "backup version of CurrentVersion.fcpevent seems to have the same issue", you mean that file bundle inside the backup libraries, it implies the backup libraries themselves are damaged. Please verify you have actually tried opening the unmodified backup libraries vs copying some internal component to another library.

If you were running Time Machine backups, there should also be additional backups of all libraries on the system volume there.

In general you should be on a much newer version of FCP and MacOS. Each newer version is more reliable and faster. I would not put media on an NTFS drive, although in theory it could work since media is read only.

However Big Sur and a new version of FCP will not magically fix a corrupted library database. The damage was already done.

The event-level CurrentVersion.fcpevent contains references to all clips, ratings, keywords, multicams, and any effects applied to the clips outside a timeline. The project-level CurrentVersion.fcpevent contains the edits and Fx applied to the timeline itself. Obviously they must be closely synchronized because if you change a multicam at the event level, that clip in the timeline is instantly changed. So it's expected that copying older/newer versions of *only* the project-level or event-level CurrentVersion.fcpevent might produce anomalous behavior.

If you can get a recent version of the library to load (before you messed around inside of it), you could try exporting a library XML or an event XML, then loading that XML in a new library. The XML round-trip in some cases can clean certain problems. However it might just crash or error out if the underlying event database is damaged.

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 14 Apr 2021 08:34 #113956

• kikova
The only backup that opens properly is from almost 2 months ago, i did try opening them without modifying anything.

Upon launch Crash Analyzer reports : Relevant Line

9 DeepSkyLite 0x000000010c9d403d -[DSSyncContext decodeObjectForKey:] + 434

Does it tell you anything?

The CurrentVersion.fcpevent that is corrupted is event-leverl. The project-level seems to be in order.

I've tried exporting XML and then loading it into a new library, fcpx crashes.

Thanks again

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 14 Apr 2021 08:51 #113957

• kikova
ibb.co/xqWbkFy

Final cut pro library manager gives me this, not sure if this helps

CurrentVersion.fcpevent crashes 14 Apr 2021 11:14 #113959

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
9 DeepSkyLite 0x000000010c9d403d -[DSSyncContext decodeObjectForKey:] + 434

DeepSkyLite is apparently the software framework FCP uses for database actions. Each CurrentVersion.fcpevent bundle contains several SQL tables which have relational links between them. E.g, a relational database might contain a table for customers which is linked by a primary key<>foreign key relationship to a separate table with all purchases for each customer. With FCP there is a table for object "collections" and a separate table for metadata about each item in the collections table, which are linked by a common key value. There are other links between different tables, and none of that is documented. It is not possible to decipher or edit those values.

The method "decodeObjectForKey" method could imply it's trying to decode (IOW to look up) some object (which could be a file, or a project) in a different table which corresponds to a key value in the first table. In a relational database those keys are always supposed to be in sync, which is called referential integrity. In a normal client/server system like Oracle or SQL Server that referential integrity is automatically maintained by the DBMS.

FCP uses a SQL code library called SQLite and I don't know if it maintains referential integrity or if it's the app's responsibility. Apparently the database is in an inconsistent state, which makes the software code crash when trying to perform that lookup.

However none of that is practically useful in repairing it. Even given source code access to the software and internal knowledge of the database, and if used by someone in product development, it is not always possible to fix those.

The error from Final Cut Library Manager "The library seems to be in use by..." could imply a problem with the hidden advisory lock files within the library. A similar problem was discussed in this thread; maybe some of those suggestions apply in this case: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ssue-in-use-by-local

You are on High Sierra. Older versions of MacOS would sometimes have file permissions problems, and this was fixed by running a permissions repair option in Disk Utility. I don't remember the version where that changed. Maybe it was around Sierra or High Sierra. There's a command-line utility which can reset those, which is discussed here. I've never run it and have no experience with it: discussions.apple.com/thread/8091135

If the problem is isolated to a single event you might be able to remove that event folder from the library, then get the library loaded in FCP. However if the project you need is inside that event, I doubt that would help. The procedure is shown in this video. Note this is all undocumented. There are no approved procedures for this, and steps like this are undertaken at your own risk. In most cases like this the most practical approach is accept whatever backup you can obtain (even if months old) and next time run newer versions of the software with better backups and use only HFS+ and/or APFS volumes for all media and libraries. For highly critical work it's often a good idea to periodically export XML files of the database, event and project.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: