fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 13:44 #113912

In past, I've had no problem but today, with snapping off, I cannot drag bottom clip to precisely where it needs to be. Example screen shot. Notice very slight timing difference in the audio track. It used to be that I could drag the lower clip without snapping at all but now not the case now. Problem is there is a very slight echo on the audio track as such and of course I want sound to be as perfect as possible. What else can I try?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by peteramwiggins.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 14:04 #113913

Related, I found this: support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/sy...ideo-verc1fabc30/mac

Doesn't seem to do anything, either when selecting just an upper/lower track, or all tracks in the project at once.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 15:07 #113914

Can't tell the scale of the image. You can only shift video clips in one frame increments in the timeline regardless of the snapping. If you detach the audio you can move that more precisely.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 15:27 #113915

Thank you. It was at the frame level. However, when I unattached the main track audio, I was able to move it with the precision I need... zero snapping. Thanks! Still not sure why I could not do that with the lower audio track.... Related, do you/anyone know of any good tools or hacks to help line up audio tracks? It's pretty tedious, manually.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 16:35 #113917

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
Audio-only clips can be moved in much more smaller increments do to the sampling rate. Video takes frames, audio takes samples. Normally 48kHz audio actually means 48,000 samples per second. But video is locked into frames. I.E. 24 frames means each frame is a 24th of a second. FCP won't let you move 1/14,000 of a second, but you can move in much, much smaller increments when dealing with Audio.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 16:45 #113919

Thanks Ben. I did not know that, appreciate the knowledge share. I guess when I was trying to move the audio track (no vid), it was snapping to the nearest frame on the audio with video track. So, know of a tool or technique to ease the burden to sync multi track audio?

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 16:49 #113922

What you show is not an audio clip. It's two video clips. If you only need the audio portion of the clip, edit just the audio portion into the timeline, and you can adjust it with greater precision. The sync clip function or the multicam clip function might help to sync the items you want.

Cannot disable snapping 12 Apr 2021 16:51 #113923

Argh, you nailed it Tom. I was treating the lower track as audio because that was my interest but you're right, it was the audio track of a video clip. Will try the mutlicam clip function, thanks for that too.

Cannot disable snapping 13 Apr 2021 08:23 #113938

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
I was about to suggest what Tom said. I'd go with a Multicam Clip for two video clips. May also help editing between them easier.

Last edit: by Ben Balser.

Cannot disable snapping 13 Apr 2021 22:30 #113944

A slight echo? Typically you'd mute the other / unnecessary audio tracks and use but one. Even a frame or two off any synch issues wouldn't be noticeable. I may use two tracks from two cameras in order to have a 'fuller' audio experience but they're never at the same levels. One's dramatically reduced.

• Page: