fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 29 Apr 2021 06:04 #114209

Hello everybody, 🙋🏽‍♂️

I really need your help. I tried to find the solution online, tried to find a solution myself, but I couldn't.

I am using FCP for tutorial purpose, and sometimes I want to zoom 🔎 into a zone of my screen to make it larger. After a few sections, I want to go back to full height / width.

I know I can use ken burns, or use the trim (or crop I forgot) feature, but it takes quite some time to every time create the right keyframes, zoom in, re-create new keyframes etc.

❓ My question: is there a simpler way, by just dragg- dropping for example an effect, or even better a title ( or adjustment layer) onto part of the video in order to make it zoom?
Ideally I would have a couple of title, such as "Zoom top left", "Zoom top right" , .. and I could just drag it onto my video to quick add a zoom-in > hold > zoom-out effect.

Or maybe I could create something in Motion?

Any help would be great,
Many thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 29 Apr 2021 12:21 #114216

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
Keyframing the Scale parameter is all you need to do, simple, quick, easy.

But what you see done in most professional tutorial videos is being done with ScreenFlow. I use it for many years now with my software training videos. It retains the resolution of your image while zooming in a way FCP can't do.

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 30 Apr 2021 01:46 #114231

Thank you for your reply.

You're right about screenflow, that's also a good solution, however it only work for screen capture, not for actual camera shot videos.

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 30 Apr 2021 12:20 #114236

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Keyframing the Scale parameter is all you need to do, simple, quick, easy.

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 01 May 2021 02:37 #114257

I agree, probably that's the best way.
Another question: I am a big fan of keyboard shortcuts.
When I try to just Opt + K (default for adding a keyframe), it somehow doesn't apply the keyframe to my Transform parameters.
What am I doing wrong?

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 01 May 2021 16:49 #114269

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
I think it only works in the keyframe editor. Right-click a clip in a Timeline, Show Video Animation.

Zoom in for details - make it quicker? 05 May 2021 01:11 #114320

Yes it seems like I first have to open the editor, then select the track I want and then only I can press Opt + K.
And back to my original concern, If i want to create an overall (for example Transform + Crop) keyframe, it's not just 1 click solution anymore.

But anyways, I guess that's the only solution for now. If anyone has another solution, I am curious to know.
Thank you

• Page: