fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advice regarding recording soundtrack (Leica D-Lux 109 with Zoom H2n) 03 May 2021 13:17 #114299

• DEH
  • DEH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I am planning a return visit to the fantastic annual jazz festival held on the lake shore in Ascona Switzerland in 2022. www.jazzascona.ch
On previous visits to the festival using the small, discrete Leica DLux 109 I obtain excellent 4K video and good sound recording using the camera's internal stereo microphone.
My camera does not have a separate audio/microphone recording input, so to obtain improved audio recording, I am considering buying the small Zoom H2n handy recorder :-
zoomcorp.com/en/gb/handheld-recorders/ha.../h2n-handy-recorder/
I intend recording an additional high quality audio copy of each band playing, then in post editing in FCPX substituting and syncing the improved sound track to the video recorded.
If anyone has used the Leica DLux 109 and/or Zoom H2n handy recorder I would love to hear your suggestions and comments.
Regards,
David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Advice regarding recording soundtrack (Leica D-Lux 109 with Zoom H2n) 03 May 2021 14:45 #114302

• VidGreg
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 202
Hi DEH, welcome to the forums
I use a ZOOM H2 for field work all the time, yesterday and today for example.
For concerts, it is best to get a feed/recording off the mixing board as this will give the highest quality.
You can use any external recorder and then sync the audio files which FCPX does a very good job at.
Getting decent sound becomes a matter of mic placement and handling.
The ZOOM handheld recorders are fairly decent, but can suffer from handling noise. It is best to mount in a shock mount and use a tripod or boom stick. If you do handhold, you will have distracting noises ruining the recording. Try to place the mic close to the stage and PA and with as little noise sources ( people) in between. One advantage of a remote audio recording device is it can be placed anywhere not just where the video camera is. Add big sound card and fresh batteries to record. Best to have separate audio/boom operator to babysit the H2. Be aware of sound source delay/differences when editing in post, may be necessary to adjust audio timing. FCP allows subframe audio editing.
Best of Luck
Hope this Helps, Greg

Advice regarding recording soundtrack (Leica D-Lux 109 with Zoom H2n) 03 May 2021 18:09 #114305

• DEH
  • DEH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Gregg,

Kind of you to reply so quickly.
Many thanks for your enlightening, comprehensive and helpful information. So pleased that you use the zoom H2 for field work all the time even yesterday and today !

I'll follow your advice re fresh batteries and large SD card., and handling noise.
Anticipating the handling noise I had planned mounting the Zoom on the hot shoe on the top of the camera , keeping fingers away from the casing, and as in the past hold the camera very firmly and steadily (even at 75 tears old and sober) , using the rear screen to frame the video .

Regarding position of the H2 at the front of the stage to avoid people noise is really good advice. However my proposed audio/boom operator is 73 years old and she refuses to babysit the H2 unless she is able to hold a glass of wine in one hand and the H2 in the other ! Tme for plenty of bribery !

All your advices and particularly your warning about sound source delay/differences when editing in posts FCPX are most welcome.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards and best wishes,

David

• Page: