fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Deleting Library files 04 May 2021 21:45 #114314

• Nemo
  • Nemo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Using FCP on an iMac. Program has accumulated numerous Library files with the same name. If I delete some of the previous or earlier library files will it affect the current file? I can't afford to take the chance of losing the current project that I am editing. Thanks for your assistance in advance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Deleting Library files 04 May 2021 22:30 #114315

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
Can you supply a screen shot? Are these actual Libraries you created and gave them all the same name? Or are you looking inside the FCP Backups folder which is inside the Movies folder? Because those are simply database backups you really need to keep. They take up next to no space and could save your life. Trust me. As for the former, FCP does not automatically create duplicated full Libraries.

Deleting Library files 04 May 2021 22:43 #114317

• Nemo
  • Nemo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your response. These are library files on an external HD. They occupy a lot of space, therefore, I am running out of HD space. Please see attached screen grab.
Attachments:

Deleting Library files 05 May 2021 02:16 #114321

This gets messy very quickly if you have been importing media into 1 library and using it in another. Deleting even standalone libraries can cause unanticipated problems.

The cleanest solution is to copy them onto some removable media, and store that someplace safe so you can always get it back if needed. While doing that, rename the library to something useful, so you can tell which is which.

Deleting Library files 05 May 2021 03:52 #114326

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
What is the reason for so many duplicated Libraries?

Deleting Library files 05 May 2021 10:00 #114328

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 424

Nemo wrote: Thank you for your response. These are library files on an external HD. They occupy a lot of space, therefore, I am running out of HD space. Please see attached screen grab.

All of those except one are FCP auto-backups, which by default are kept in /Movies/Final Cut Backups. Backup libraries contain no media, no cache, and no transcoded files. They are typically very small, less than 50 megabytes.

In general I would not delete those but move them to external storage. That way if something happens to your main library, you will have those for backup. FCP will gradually create new backup libraries as you work. If you want those backups generated on another hard drive, you can configure that in the library inspector Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Backups.

However moving those off your system volume likely won't save much space because they aren't that big in the first place.

If your main library is really big, that could be due to internal media or cache. It is often best to import using "leave files in place", and to place cache external to the library. That can be configured in the library inspector Storage Locations>Modify Settings>Cache.

Deleting Library files 05 May 2021 15:40 #114340

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Yeah, now that I've had a decent night's sleep, yes, the ones that are time-stamped are simple database backups, as Joema says. Keep those, they could save your life one day. But then again, they won't pick you up at the airport...

• Page: