fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Workable copies 18 May 2021 02:31 #114538

I'm new to this and I'm in crisis mode. I put together a video last year, the components of which I would like to utilize as something of a template for a new video. But each copy I make seems to be tied to the original. Every time I make a change to the new version, it does likewise to the initial copy. I can't allow that to happen.

How do I make a workable copy that remains independent of the original, one in which changes made will not be mirrored on last year's version?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Workable copies 18 May 2021 07:04 #114539

Welcome to the forum!

Instead of copying your project, create a snapshot (Shift-Command-D).

A snapshot is a fully independent copy of your project. Making changes to compound clips or multicam clips inside a snapshot will not affect the original project.

- Ronny

Workable copies 19 May 2021 00:02 #114551

Ronnie, thank you so much for your response. But it appears I am still experiencing difficulties. I did as instructed but, when I changed a date in the new snapshot version, that date changed across the board. I know you folks are the pros, so I suspect I am doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

Workable copies 19 May 2021 07:22 #114555

Sorry to hear you still have the issue. Let's go through this step by step to see where it goes wrong:

1. You have an older FCP project. You want to duplicate that project and make changes to the duplicate without the changes affecting the original project.

2. You have selected the older project icon in the FCP browser and you have created a snapshot of the project.

3. You have selected the snapshot in the FCP browser and you have double-clicked it to open it on the timeline. You have double-checked that your snapshot is opened on the timeline, and not your original project.

4. You have changed a date (I guess that's a title?) in the snapshot timeline.

5. When you open the original project again on the timeline, the title has also changed in the original project.

Is this exactly what is happening?

- Ronny

Workable copies 21 May 2021 04:16 #114576

Huge apologies for the delayed response. I'm a teacher. It's a rather rugged time to be a teacher, and a thoroughly hellish time as we approach the close of the school year. Probably much the same for the kids...

Yes, you have everything right. I am concerned that this new snapshot finds itself a part of the same Library as the original and worry that might be the source of my issues. But again, being relatively new to things, the Library/Event/Project scenario is not something that I have come thoroughly to terms with yet. It may be that it has no significance whatsoever.

The video itself is something of a monster project for the school, one in which I have limited time to throw it together and few media resources to feed into the piece. Nonetheless, it's project of substantial importance.

Workable copies 21 May 2021 04:17 #114577

Oh and, by the way, thanks again for your help.

How can I post a question in this forum?? 21 May 2021 05:51 #114578

Sorry, probably I am too dumb but I cannot find any button to start a new topic or ask a question. Can somebody just tell me how to do that? Thanx!

How can I post a question in this forum?? 21 May 2021 06:03 #114579

Welcome to the forum!

Not a dumb question at all! On the main page, click the FCP Forum. In the FCP Forum, click the New Topic button to ask your question.

- Ronny
Attachments:

Workable copies 21 May 2021 06:05 #114580

strange. I thought I had tried that button. my bad! too dumb it seems...! 😰

thanx for the quick reply!

Workable copies 21 May 2021 06:09 #114581

My pleasure. I just tried it to double-check and it seems to work. Enjoy the forum!

- Ronny

• Page: