fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

crop aspect ratio changing 07 Jun 2021 17:51 #114886

I'm new to Final Cut Pro, so forgive me if this is basic--but I have looked extensively for an answer.

I'm working on a project that uses primarily one single video for all of the source media. The aspect ratios do not match. The project is wider than the source video. As I have been editing the project, when I have been using the crop tool, it defaults to the aspect ratio of the project, not the source material. That's good. When I zoom in, so to speak, to crop, I can maintain the aspect ratio of the project and fill the entire screen.

Suddenly, though, at a certain point, the default aspect ratio of the crop seems to have changed to the size and aspect of the source video, not the project, and now every new crop I make resets to the more square size of the source video. I cannot get this to revert. When I "reset" the crop, it resets to the media size. I feel like I must have hit something that made this change, but I cannot figure it out.

Any help is much appreciated!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

crop aspect ratio changing 07 Jun 2021 19:07 #114887

Usually when media is in a non-standard frame resolution, it's best to use the Custom setting to create a custom size that match your frame.

Attachments:

crop aspect ratio changing 07 Jun 2021 22:53 #114894

Thanks for the input. I know what you mean. However, I do want to keep the wide aspect ratio, especially since almost all of the final edits are zoomed in on the source media. But for some reason, I cannot get the default crop aspect ratio to stay consistent.

For the first 50 or so clips that I pasted into the timeline, when I set the crop to (0,0,0,0), it crops the whole screen according to the project settings. For the last two clips I pasted of the same source material, when I crop to (0,0,0,0) it adheres to the boundaries of the source video, not the project settings. I don't know what I could have done to make this suddenly change.

Is this a bug? Is there something in the project that got corrupted?

crop aspect ratio changing 07 Jun 2021 23:02 #114895

Can’t tell if it’s a bug without specifics or media to see if it’s reproducible. The spatial conform settings might affect this, or if any other transforms have been applied, or any effects that alter the image resolution.

crop aspect ratio changing 07 Jun 2021 23:19 #114896

Thanks. I did try the spacial conform settings. That didn't do it. And I am not using any effects. I guess it's a mystery.

• Page: