fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 22 Jun 2021 08:28 #115099

• Slaughter
  • Slaughter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Since upgrading to 10.4.10
and migrating old system to 2019 Imac Pro

I've learned the hard way that migrating really only migrates most data, not all (thanks, Apple)
Still, I expected that my gosh darned FCPX settings would be included in my migration.

Since the upgrade - of both machine and FCPX from 10.4.6 to 10.4.10, all of a magical sudden, true black images created in photoshop are now grey. Yay! Thanks for magically changing my shit for no freaking reason.

I have tried various searches but have turned up nothing helpful.

See attached. Note that even when I go extreme with my contrast and levels settings in PS, to the point at which I compromise the colour of the text, the image *still* appears GREY like it does in the screenshot.

Does anyone know why FCPX has magically decided to start doing this, and how I fix this infernal, time wasting problem?

The solution absolutely should not be to adjust the levels within FCPX, because this was not a problem under 10.4.6 or via my old machine. Therefore it should not be a problem now.

I have tried trashing my prefs and it has made no difference.

Thanks....

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6
No I cannot upgrade further because I don't have a spare $800 to upgrade Pro Tools.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 22 Jun 2021 11:01 #115101

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 644
That is very odd, I've not experienced this issue. Verify monitor settings in System Prefs? Images in PS are done as RBG? This is very interesting!

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 23 Jun 2021 04:05 #115116

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Ben Balser wrote: That is very odd, I've not experienced this issue. Verify monitor settings in System Prefs? Images in PS are done as RBG? This is very interesting!

Nil changes made to monitor settings, in fact I have never, ever adjusted them on this imac or my previous one.
The images are standard jpegs. Again no change to my workflow, no change to how I save or format images.
Incredibly irritating problem because I have to manually adjust levels within FCPX which just needlessly creates more work for the application to do, more rendering, etc etc.

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 24 Jun 2021 00:56 #115133

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
So you did go look and verify, even though you have not consciously changed anything, that the images are RGB, right?

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 24 Jun 2021 03:53 #115137

• Slaughter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ah! Thankyou. Turns out Photoshop settings had been reset as well.
Bloody hell, Apple... I am going to clone my HD. This time machine / migration business is bullsh^t.
The images had defaulted to CMYK. They were not RGB. Problem solved!

True black images appear grey in FCPX. Disparity between Photoshop and FCPX. 24 Jun 2021 11:49 #115150

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Yep, any little change, re-confirm your settings, computers are like that....

• Page: