fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 14 Jul 2021 05:36 #115436

Weirdly-worded title, I know.

I have a small project I'm working on that is chock-full of speed ramps, and I want to use optical flow to help smooth out the sequences that dip below the project's frame rate. One thing is keeping me from doing this smoothly, though: the speed transition bars that smooth out the speed ramps.

If I cut the clip right at a speed transition, I can get the entirety of the slower-motion footage interpolated, but at the cost of no speed transition. If I cut the clip in-between the speed transitions...it's a little better, but the beginning and end of the slower-motion footage is noticeably choppy compared to the smoothed footage. A third option is cutting the clip before the speed transition while in a fast section, then cutting after the speed transition going back to a fast section, but again, not ideal.

I thought the range selection tool would work since you can just select each section of speed within each clip, but it doesn't. Even if the slowed-section is selected, when optical flow is turned on, the entire clip gets interpolated.

Any ideas?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by El Matadurr. Reason: Clarification

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 14 Jul 2021 15:40 #115443

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
Have you tried making each section a compound clip and then applying the optical flow to that?
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 14 Jul 2021 17:30 #115444

Thanks for responding. I tried that too, when selecting the range, the option for a new compound clip is unfortunately grayed-out. :(

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 15 Jul 2021 03:31 #115449

I think there is no solution for your problem.

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 15 Jul 2021 11:36 #115453

maybe having one totally Optical Flow an a second without, above in secondary

then modulate opacity between the two on the upper clip

Last edit: by Stu Wart.

Apply Optical Flow to Specific Sections of a Speed-Ramped Project? 19 Jul 2021 16:59 #115486

• Redifer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 85
Cutting right before the speed ramp starts and after it ends is the only solution not to have the normal speed footage optically flowed. It would be nice if you could set a range and do it, but for now you set that range with the blade tool. It's not too much trouble compared to setting a range.

• Page: