fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SD XDCAM footage into FCP 15 Jul 2021 07:53 #115450

Given how much I used to use XDCAM Professional Disc so much, it's amazing I'm having these problems. However I have recently managed to get hold of a PDW-U2 drive to copy some of my old XDCAM footage over to my current machine. This is the original 2/3" chip SD XDCAM system, using discs, not SxS cards or the later PDW-330 HD XDCAM system. Although the differences should be moot since the SD XDCAM system was either MXF wrapped DVCAM or IMX. Both of which, apparently, are still able to be read by macOS Big Sur after Apple's video codec purge a few years back, and any software such as Catalyst Browse.

However I'm having no such luck. I can copy the footage over to my drives no problem at all, and the MXF wrapped MP4 proxy files play fine. But I cannot for the life of me get any software such as Catalyst Browse or FCP to read the full resolution MXF files, even though officially they should! I could understand if maybe there was an anomaly with FCP, but Catalyst Browse is most definitely supposed to support the files.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or similar problems? I've even tried some software I downloaded after a Google search that also is supposed to read the files, but it didn't. I've also tried some discs that were recorded using the PDW-330 HD XDCAM as well, and the files on those are giving me the same problems.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

SD XDCAM footage into FCP 15 Jul 2021 09:48 #115451

Hi Simon, welcome to the forums.

This may be more difficult than you think. PFD (the format for Sony Professional Discs) is 17-year-old technology. If the clips were recorded in IMX MPEG-2 422@ML, this could be challenging.

Can you send me one of those files so I can see exactly what codec and compression scheme were used to record the media? I just need one of the MXF clips from the Clip folder in the XDCAM package, not any metadata files. You can upload the clip to WeTransfer and send the link to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

- Ronny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ronny courtens.
  • Page: