First time poster here. Thank you in advance for any help.
I'm over 100 hours into an edit that has been done with Canon 5D and iPhone X footage and I just added a batch of new footage shot on iPhone 12 which I'm learning now is HDR. I've spent about 20 hrs trouble shooting and I'm hoping for a better solution.
I added HDR effect and then adjusted that effect's mode from "HDR to REc. 709 SDR" to "HLG to Rec.709 SDR". This solved 98% of the problem and I used the color board to help pull up some of the deeper blacks that I lost. Unfortunately, this has slowed my computer down to where it gets hung ever couple of minutes rendering this solution not functional.
I thought that maybe using a 3rd party converter app could convert the files from HDR to SDR and then I could relink the files to the project with the SDR batch, but so far no luck. When converting to prores 422 HQ, they're still HDR. When converting to MP4s, they're not able to relink because FCP says the video frame rates don't match.
Changing the library and project to a wide gamut renders the SDR footage unusable.
Does anyone know if I could create a project of just the HDR footage and export it into SDR and then use that large video and intercut it into my real project? I'm not sure how to export a 1080p file into SDR on FCP.
Starting over doesn't seem like an option.
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Running on new iMac with 8GB memory, M1 chip. External Hard drive has 10 TB empty storage with thunderbolt 3 connection. Currently I get a force quit popup saying system has run out of application memory and it says FCB is using over 50 GB when this happens. I've tried deleting preferences on FCP and restarting and it still gets hung just scrubbing through files. I'm assuming the HDR Tool Effect is just throttling my system, but it doesn't seem like it should. My project is about 45 minutes long and at the moment is about 1000 clips all strung together in a line, no VFX/graphics or anything complicated.
Thanks for the quick reply. My hard drive has almost 1 TB of free storage on it (it's brand new and I keep most of my date on the external drive).
I deleted the generated library files and the Activity Monitor shows FCP is only using 1.3 GB when playing back (was at 6.5 GB before at minimum) so this bodes well. I'll spend the day editing on Monday and I'll follow up on whether this truly fixed the problem, but I'm hopeful. You're two sentence solution may have proved far more helpful than the 3 phone calls with apple support. Fingers crossed - thank you!