fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Syncing cut up clips to an alternative raw footage? 22 Jul 2021 10:01 #115506

• Siam
  • Siam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone! I have a question that I seemingly can't find an answer to, but I welcome the possibility that I've probably stared at it countless times without realizing that was the solution.

My situation:

I've cut up some raw footage into a video, however, in the middle of it, the client sent me a revised raw footage file, that included some more takes and some color correction.

I don't want to start cutting it up all over and would like to simply sync the cut-up bits to the *new footage*. I know there is a way to select the timeline clip and reveal it inside the original footage in the browser, but no idea if there is a way to reveal it (based on audio?) in a whole new raw footage file. Maybe there's a Multicam workaround?

I've attached a screenshot. The primary timeline is where the original cut-up clips are, the long clip above is what I need to cut up according to the ones below in perfect sync.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Syncing cut up clips to an alternative raw footage? 22 Jul 2021 13:27 #115507

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 444
It appears your timeline is mostly separate video with detached audio, although I see one sync clip icon.

This illustrates why it is generally best to use a multicam clip, not a sync clip or detached audio -- even when you have only a single audio and video source. Multicam clips in the timeline inherit changes made to the multicam parent clip in the event browser, but sync clips do not.

If it was a multicam clip you could simply add the new camera angle then use the Angle Editor to decide when to use that angle in the timeline.

However if it's truly a different take (not just a different angle of the same take), then audio will not line up. There is no magic way to sync two different takes with different audio.

If you are planning on much additional work, I would consider going back and creating a multicam clip containing the same edits. It is somewhat laborious, but the procedure is shown in this post: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...meline-in-fcp#107294

See this link for suggestions on multicam sync, along with useful advice from Ripple Training: www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...ronized-clips#113378

Syncing cut up clips to an alternative raw footage? 23 Jul 2021 18:47 #115521

• Siam
  • Siam's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Yeah, I've never worked with multicam clips as I never saw a need for that. With that being said, after reading your suggestion I will definitely try that out. Thanks so much joema!

• Page: