• Page:

TOPIC: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange

Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 02 Feb 2012 23:55 #3777

• dgwvideo
  • dgwvideo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
Not sure what to make of this. I have a fairly complex compound clip of just over 1 minute length that usually plays fine in the timeline when it's broken apart to reveal clip items. When I then create a compound clip from it, it plays differently. The end seems to lose video at the last 2 seconds and some of the transitions do not work. If I break apart clip items, it usually is fine again. I say usually, because on a few occasions I've noticed some of the transitions maintain the proper clip effect for the first half of the transition but remove the effect on the second half.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get the compound clip to play right once I get it right as individual clips in the timeline.

I just installed 10.0.3 and prior to doing that trashed all FCPX preferences so the new version could create fresh prefs. I also repaired permissions, etc., etc. before installing the fcpx upgrade. Also installed the latest lion update before running fcpx for the first time.
I let fcpx update the project as requested when it first opened.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by dgwvideo. Reason: correct typo

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:03 #3779

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
Trash all the render files via the File menu, also. Be sure Events/Projects are not on the system drive. Not able to recreate this, but there's obviously a bug somewhere.

If you open the Compound Clip into it's own Timeline, does it play correctly there?

Last edit: by BenB.

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:12 #3782

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, for the most part it plays there OK, but like I said, occasionally it produces a loss of video, or an effect that doesn't work right. I can usually correct this but then when it becomes compound again it doesn't work right.

I have not been able to delete unused render files as I get the beachball spinning (left it for up to 30 minutes) every time I tried. I have not tried deleting all, but I will later this evening.

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:20 #3783

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
If you get the lollypop when deleting render files via the File menu, there's a larger problem. Quite and delete render files manually then. Both for the Project and the Event.

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:35 #3785

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, I'll try that when I get back and report here.
Also, some added info in case it is relevant:
This clip consists mostly of 720 24p footage but does contain some motion-jpeg 640x480 clips which I rate conformed to 23.98. They were reported in FCPX as 29.34 fps and 29.42 fps (odd, but then again these were supplied to me from footage taken from a Kodac still/motion camera.) I have them layered into a 720p project with multiple effects and some basic color correction applied to them. I used optical flow on them, but since changed that to FLOOR. Perhaps this combination of footage and processing is the culprit. I have some RED highlights in the timeline bar which I haven't seen before above a few of these clips (not orange render bars, red coloring of the timeline top border).

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:47 #3787

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Are these clips all optimized?

Red eh? I'd love to see a screen shot of that!

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 00:51 #3788

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Yes, these clips have all been imported Prores 422. I will do a screen capture tonight and post it with my response. Funny thing is, if I select the clip in question and change optical flow to floor, for example, the red band goes away, I'm presented with the orange render bar, it promptly renders and the red band returns. I am thinking this may be some indication by FCPX that the underlying clip has been rate conformed, retimed, etc. perhaps.

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 03 Feb 2012 07:38 #3795

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Hey, BenB...
Here are some screenshots of the red bands you wanted to see.
The first one shows them over the compound clip in the timeline.
The second shows the band over the broken apart clips.
The third is a closeup of the band in the timeline bar where the TC is.

Attachments:

Last edit: by dgwvideo. Reason: typo

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 04 Feb 2012 01:02 #3828

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
Wow. Wonder if this is a .0.3 thing. When my studio is back online tomorrow I'll try to duplicate. Down for renovations.

Re: Compound Clip in 10.0.3 acts strange 04 Feb 2012 03:26 #3834

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, it wasn't introduced in 0.3 because it was occurring in 0.2 on this clip I was working on for over a week. I still think it may have something to do with indicating the underlying clips having been retimed or optical flow applied (perhaps in addition to effects). I only noticed this after setting optical flow and then subsequently changing that on the same clip. But this link may indicate it represents a freeze frame during a retime (although it appears in the animation editor while mine is showing up in the timecode section of the timeline border).

www.premiumbeat.com/blog/fcpx-trick-crea...g-the-retiming-tool/

I did use some effects which freeze a couple frames of video before they release the full effect.

Benb, Your advice to manually remove my render files really helped with this clip. It now plays perfect every time in the timeline. There is still one small issue - when I turn it into a compound clip, it plays fine except for one of the short clips in the middle jumps to the beginning of my storyline. When I break the compound apart, I can see that and have to move it back to where it belongs. Other than that one thing, FCPX now runs much better and no other issues arise as far as I can tell. I think somehow the clip got corrupted somewhere but everything looks OK when I break it apart, so I am leaving it like that. I should also mention that the compound clip contains several other compound clips nested within it. Don't know if this could be an issue.

Last edit: by dgwvideo. Reason: typo
  • Page: