• Page:

TOPIC: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters

Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 04 Feb 2012 18:51 #3848

• ianstubbs
  • ianstubbs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
Anyone know of a way to set the interpolation of keyframes set in FCPX for parameters published from Motion? CTL clicking on the line between the keyframes in the timeline has no effect. I am experiencing some nasty 'Bezier wobble' on x and y position parameters of a new filter I've created. If I could make the interpolation linear it would actually be useful!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 04 Feb 2012 19:42 #3850

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
That's a surprise, I just taken a look and unless I'm missing something too it seems FCPX could have along way to go before it's new "Video Animation" way of working is of much use.

Control/right clicking works on a curve between keyframes (as does dragging on the curve) and to access the curve the parameter needs to have a little disclosure triangle at it's top right, position parameters don't.

It looks like an FCPX issue not one related to Motion published parameters leaving very little in the way of keyframe control in FCPX.

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 04 Feb 2012 20:32 #3853

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Here's a workaround.

If you set keyframes for a position control in FCPX it seems not to be showing the curves as an option as there is "obviously" more than 1 curve related to a position animation and no option to separate them out.

I tried publishing the x and y position parameters separately and FCPX couldn't tell the difference, so that was no good.

N.B. Just had a thought, maybe if I done z too it would have made a difference

If you add the separate position controls (x, y and z if necessary) in Motion to slider rigs and name them x position, y position etc. you can set keyframes and get to their curves in FCPX to change interpolation.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: typo correction

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 04 Feb 2012 20:36 #3854

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Just to confirm, publishing each of the x,y & z parameters doesn't work, you need to rig them to sliders.

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 05 Feb 2012 03:13 #3869

• ianstubbs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks for the tip - I tried to make it work but had no luck. However, in the process I noticed that you can set the interpolation in Motion when you rig a parameter to a slider. So, for me, setting it to Linear cleared my problem. Doing it this way I didn't need to rig and publish the z position control.

I tried publishing the interpolation control to FCP and it appeared but it seemed to have no effect. Further investigation needed I think but, for now, I've fixed the issue of my meandering zoom. :)

Thanks again.

Ian.

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 05 Feb 2012 03:18 #3870

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
No problem, sometimes I don't explain things as well as I'd like to, but I think you've done what I meant anyway.

Publishing the z parameter was just an experiment, i.e publishing all the position parameters individually to FCPX without rigging, this worked but never allowed the extra control in FCPX.

But publishing each of them individually (either x,y,z, 2 of each or all 3) via individual slider rigs did work. Is this what you done, with just the x and y? If so you should be able to change the interpolation of each in FCPX.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: clarity

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 05 Feb 2012 03:27 #3871

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Actually, on re-reading. You published the full position parameter to a slider and set the interpolation to liner, but still don't get the curves, right?

If so, I'm glad that worked for you as it will keep things simpler and hope that rigging each will be of use to someone looking to get to the curves.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: typo correction

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 05 Feb 2012 05:34 #3877

• ianstubbs
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
No, I rigged each separately but still can't access the curves in FCPX. (I did x,y and z but deleted z when I decided to go the other route). Happily it doesn't matter for the filter I was building since I needed linear and I now have it. However, since I do a lot of this stuff now, I'd like to crack it so I will tinker further.

Thanks again for your help.

Ian.

Re: Keyframe interpolation of published parameters 05 Feb 2012 15:11 #3885

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'll let you know how I get on too. I just rigged another, x and y only, and can only get access to the x curve in FCPX. It might not be that reliable.

• Page: