fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool.

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 03:14 #94581

• deweyt44
  • deweyt44's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey guys and gals,

Was curious to see if anyone else is running into this issue, to determine if it's just a bug that has to be fixed or if it's an issue with my MacBook Pro. I'm using a 2016 15 inch MacBook Pro with a Radeon 460 graphics card.

When I apply the sequence text behaviour, if I try to use the adjust item tool to adjust the rotation of the text (X Y and Z axis) Motion will freeze up, forcing me to kill the application. If I use the inspector controls, everything works fine, and I even tried playing with other on screen rotation controls, such as adjust 3D and other on screen rotations, which works fine. The freezing only occurs specifically with sequence text behavior. I've tried deleting the preferences, and I've also reinstalled Motion.

I've sent a bug report to the Motion team, but wanted to get some input from others to see if they also have this problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 04:05 #94582

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661
wow! You found something … :woohoo:
first quick test: indeed, app freezes, asks for a force-quit.
Will experiment later, maybe a font conflict?

=> report to Apple

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 04:23 #94585

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
So it isn’t just me! And here I was contemplating nuking and paving my MacBook Pro :p

Just curious, what hardware did you test with?

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 05:01 #94586

• Karsten Schlüter
software: all latest, HS, 5.4
hardware (don't laugh!!) trusty 2012 MavMini, 16GB Ram …

have to wait another 30min or so, actually exporting a lengthy project to DVD (why do school teachers still ask for antique silver disks??? And where is my ext. DVDburner??), don't dare to risk this, I'm late with it anyhow :woohoo:

But, to chat about it: must be a new 'flaw', I remember well, I used the SeqTxt with rotation successfully in the past … but to narrow down the culprit (installed lately lots of 'exotic' fonts), I should tinker with my set-up … later!

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 05:13 #94587

• deweyt44
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Hard for me to laugh when a 2012 Mac Mini was the exact last machine I had before I upgraded. That little beast was a damn war hero, but I needed a GPU kick for color grading and effects (The Mac Mini's fans were always in competition with my OWC Thunder Bay IV raid drive.)

If it's of any interest, I have yet to install any custom fonts. Thanks for testing out bug and confirming my suspicions.

Project freezes after "Sequence Text" is rotated with adjust item tool. 12 Mar 2018 08:59 #94591

• Karsten Schlüter

deweyt44 wrote: …That little beast was a damn war hero, …

you owe me a keyboard - ROTFL, now that phrase would never made it into my mind! :silly:

back2topic:
Tried several things:
• diff. fonts = crash (the error report names it 'hang'…)
• using the Inspector, no the OSC = success
• …. but the REAL issue is: many/most of the TextBehaviors are based upon SeqTxt! So, I tested a few of them, e.g. FadeIn from right, which offers those 3D controls either - BÄNG!, crash, hang!
• finally, I made the whole Project '3D' by adding a camera - touching the OSC - BÄNG!, crash, hang too!!
==>> URGENTLY a bug-report to Apple

That SeqTexBehave is Mark Spencer's all-time favorite… what is he saying about that??

… and are there any other Behaves with 3D OSCs…?

… I dare to say, the root causing this mess is that 360°-blingbling!! <grml> :angry:

• Page: