fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Only start a new post here if you are uploading a free plugin or direct linking to a plugin or the page that the plugin can be downloaded from.

All other new posts will be deleted.
  • Page:

TOPIC: AB Source Strobe Effect

AB Source Strobe Effect 29 Dec 2011 22:09 #2855

• NocoDave
  • NocoDave's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122

File Attachment:

File Name: ABSourceSt...fect.zip
File Size:689 KB

This a simple strobe effect between an A and a B clip as requested elsewhere on the forum.

ADDITION: The latest version is now titled "Free Strobe" to stop any conflicts with this version and can be found in the free "Template Master" app on the "Mac App Store".
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: Additional Info regarding latest version

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 29 Dec 2011 22:28 #2857

• PROBOUND
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

NocoDave wrote:

File Attachment:

File Name: ABSourceSt...fect.zip
File Size:689 KB

This a simple strobe effect between an A and a B clip as requested elsewhere on the forum.

Dave you are the man! I didnt get a chance to test it out yet but believe me, if it works you have just solved a problem that ive been trying to figure out for a year! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 29 Dec 2011 22:35 #2858

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
No problem. It should work fine, but I put it together quickly so if there's any problems reply here and I'll sort it.

I've had a few ideas for more features, so check back for updates. I'm also open to feature requests.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Dec 2011 03:42 #2867

• alprattjr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Very cool effect! Thank you.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 31 Dec 2011 00:39 #2880

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
It works really well. I played around with it last night on a few clips for a music video I'm working on...it looks pretty amazing...Thanks.

Is there a correlation between how many frames are being sliced out at 0 vs.100 on the frequency slider?
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 31 Dec 2011 01:13 #2881

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I'm glad it's of use.

Is there a correlation between how many frames are being sliced out at 0 vs.100 on the frequency slider?

Funny you should say that, it's always going to be a bit different depending on what frame rate project it is being use in, but at the moment it's just been set quickly.

0 = no activity, 100 = almost alternating frames.

I just set the slider to be constant from one extreme to the other. But I was looking closer at it this morning, once you get above 50 it is very close to the setting at 100 anyway.

I was going to change the slider so that what is now mapped from 0-50 will be stretched to 0-90 and what is between 50-100 will be squashed to 90-100. But not yet, when I get a bit of time I'm going to do some tests on how it performs when this value is key framed. I may be wrong but I have a feeling that while the above may offer more control for constant settings it might not be so great for key framing frequency changes in FCP.

I'll take a look at the start of next week.

Last edit: by NocoDave.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 31 Dec 2011 16:21 #2893

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Attachment not found

I taken another look at this and it's pretty erratic depending on what frame rate project it is being used in. The maths are pretty complicated but I have an idea on how to rig/publish it to be consistent at all frame rates. It won't be a quick job, so I've made a change that should make operation easier at a temporary level.

I changed the slider, "0" is set to alternate the source every 5 seconds and "100" is set to alternate every frame when used in a 60fps project. When used at 30fps "50" will alternate the frames and values above "50" are erratic, so the first half of the slider can be used in the same way as the full slider range at 60fps.

The maths for other frame rates are where the can of worms gets opened, but it can still be used in the state that it's in and I'll get it rigged up with consistent operation over the next week or two.

Last edit: by NocoDave.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 01 Jan 2012 04:45 #2906

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
C:\fakepath\AB Source Strobe Effect.zip

The maths weren't as complex as they could have been once I found out that customising the sliders wasn't going to help a great deal. I found a more consistent (still not perfect at all frame rates) relationship between the slider and the strobe by setting the frequency range from 1 second to 1 frame alternations.

Here's the final version.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 01 Jan 2012 04:46 #2907

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Attachment not found

The maths weren't as complex as they could have been once I found out that customising the sliders wasn't going to help a great deal. I found a more consistent (still not perfect at all frame rates) relationship between the slider and the strobe by setting the frequency range from 1 second to 1 frame alternations.

Here's the final version.

Last edit: by NocoDave. Reason: removed buggy vesrsion

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 01 Jan 2012 16:29 #2908

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Lessons learned, "final" isn't a great word and check everything, even things that worked before. When I set up the frame rate options it never allowed the wave shape options to work properly.

I changed the method for doing the frame rate conversions, which is better than the previous one anyway, and the wave shapes, now titled "Strobe Style", works fine with all frame rates.
Attachments:

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 02 Jan 2012 20:55 #2921

• Mazer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
THANKS!!!

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 29 Jan 2012 23:50 #3573

• Big.al2626
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I was wounding if there is any way to do bpm or tempo integration. Is there any mathematical conversion i could do to sync it with a bpm? and if not that would be a very useful feature to add later.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 02:36 #3580

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I did look into finding a way to have an audio file control it, but getting it to translate to the audio in FCPX never seemed possible.

I've got an update almost ready, I'll be uploading as a free download to the mac app store very soon. In the new version the sliders have been mapped properly so the rate of change is linear across the sliders and the mathematic conversions are far more accurate, so it should be a lot easier to do what you want. I'll post here when it's ready.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 10:45 #3583

• Mikeybouchereau
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 80
Dave I would love to know what math you used to relate the sliders to frames

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 15:56 #3587

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
If your looking at the settings for the previous uploads, there are some inaccuracies left from making slider adjustments when initially looking to see what timings come out. I started off like this and worked out what the maths should be from there.

In the latest (not yet uploaded) update it's all a lot cleaner and quite simple. I set the speed to alternate every second, this turned out to be 30 so everything is then taken from there.

At 60fps 30x60 = 1800 so that's the setting for alternating frames at the opposite end of the slider, at 50fps it's 1500, 25fps = 750 etc.

Mapping the sliders was a bit like rotoscoping, it all got very complex checking the various frame rates all being rigged to the one slider and my head is still a bit of a mess from doing it, but it's quite simple for a single control.

Setting the speed to 60 would alternate at half the rate of 30 (every half second) so this is set at the 50% point on the slider. Then a bit like rotoscoping, you keep moving half way between the previous point and the alternating frame end setting the mathematical equivalent to result in a more liner slider control.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 22:49 #3606

• Big.al2626
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Even if you could make a audio file control it, as someone who often mixes and masters music, I can tell you with these modern day masters that wouldn't work to well. I think the ideal way to make it work well with music would be if there was a BPM integration where you could input the beats per minute and it would convert that to a number you could use.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 22:53 #3608

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I see what you mean now. I don't think it's going to work but I will look into it, it sounds good.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 30 Jan 2012 23:09 #3609

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I think I'm going mad Al, I don't even know why I thought to look into it, I know it's not going to work.

It would take a very long time, would become very complex and it would still be impossible to make an input field, the function isn't there to do this so you would be stuck with a very long list of tempo's to choose from.

I think you'll find it easier with the new updated slider.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 08 Feb 2012 06:05 #4082

• NocoDave
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
DGWVideo, I got your PM in relation to this, but I'm not sure if my reply went through or not. If you never got it can you PM me your email address.

Re: AB Source Strobe Effect 08 Feb 2012 08:27 #4093

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 232
PM sent, NocoDave !
Creating history....one edit at a time !

• Page: