• Page:

TOPIC: Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro

Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro 06 Jun 2014 20:05 #47400

• tpayton
  • tpayton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
I'm helping a client with a late 2009 MacPro running FCPX and Motion. Currently they have a GeForce GT 120 with 512MB. What would be the best bang for the buck for a new GPU?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro 07 Jun 2014 23:40 #47468

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
Do they want a legit Mac card? The 7950 at $460 is a great card at a not so great price. Plus they are hard to find.

Macvidcards on ebay has mac rom flashed PC cards for much less. Their 7950 is $350.

Their cards support the boot screen and are recognized as a native Mac card. I haven't done this myself.

They also have a variety of Nvidia options, although they are much more expensive.

Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro 17 Jun 2014 20:15 #47990

• orangebeard
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Dual Radeon 5770s. I'm actually using two PC versions of the cards. The tails are too long to fit in the Mac Pro, so you will have to use a hacksaw to shorten them. I know you just LOLed when you read that, but it works and it saves you a few hundred dollars instead of buying the Mac versions. Both cards work great and I got them for around $175 together on eBay.

If you don't want to bring out the hacksaw, then I still would suggest getting two of the Mac versions. You will just pay a few hundred more for the set.

Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro 30 Jun 2014 03:47 #48864

• lotech
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just stuck PC GTX680's in our old MacPro's - all it needed was an extra PCIe power cable via eBay.
The only downside is that you don't get any boot screen - just the OS-X login windows onwards. This could be a problem but after doing it a year ago I've never once had the machine completely fall over and wish I could see the boot 'grey' screen.

Best Bang for the Buck GPU for 2009 MacPro 06 Nov 2014 01:43 #55574

• solidww
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
If the client is only using FCPX and Motion 5, then two 5770's would be the best bang for the buck. Try to find them a second single slot card for best results.

• Page: