• Page:

TOPIC: Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 10 Apr 2013 19:19 #24188

• zermato
  • zermato's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking at getting a fisheye remover plugin for my GoPro footage, and I noticed that CrumplePop & FCPEffects both offer the tool, anyone done any research to which works better/less distortion/higher quality/etc?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 11 Apr 2013 09:54 #24200

• Rodal_2000
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My FCPeffects has a fisheye removal plugin which I use and it work great. ;)

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 30 May 2013 20:45 #26564

• El Cuajinais
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Having recently taken advantage of the CrumplePop 30% discount I now have an answer to your question. I would probably choose the FCPeffects plugin over CrumplePop. The reason I went with CrumplePop was that the discount made them both comparable in price, my intent was to remove fisheye from a GoPro, and the CrumplePop marketing specified it the plugin was designed for GoPro. What drilled home the point of “made for GoPro” was that all you had to do was tell it which of the three GoPro FOV setting the shot was captured at: Narrow, medium, or wide. After that you had a single slider to tweak if you were inclined to.

Well the reason I think I made the wrong choice is that I’m almost sure the CrumplePop plugin pre-dates the GoPro Hero 3 camera. And the Hero 3 fisheye is less noticeable (but very noticeable anyway) than the Hero 2. I think the CrumplePop settings were created for the Hero 2’s lens, and I have the Hero 3. I use wide FOV exclusively on my Hero 3, and when I apply the plugin the results are good, but they do look weird when I pan. I still prefer it over the regular fisheye, and I’ aware I can’t expect software to fully correct an optical phenomenon. Nevertheless, I can’t help thinking that if the CrumplePop plugin had been developed for the Hero 3 lens, I’d probably see less weirdness when I pan the camera. The problem is that there is no slider to make that all important first correction: you just get a pull down menu and have to choose between the three FOV settings. Simplicity and Power are to a large extent mutually exclusive. I consciously chose simplicity, but I did not have all the information when I made the choice.

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 01 Jun 2013 07:02 #26658

• Mark Dobson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I would really recommend FCPeffects Fisheye remover, it's very reasonably priced and it just works. I've been using it on Hero3 files and they just snap into the correct perspective.

I've probably bought about 5 or 6 FCPeffects plugins now and they are real timesavers. They are constantly offering huge discounts so if you time it right you can get a great deal.

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 25 Apr 2016 04:07 #75993

• pszilard
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Maybe I am a cynic, but the CrumplePop products look sooo much like FCPeffects that I can't help thinking it is just a re-branded alternative by the same people. You be the judge!

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 14 Jun 2016 04:35 #77796

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 242
GoPro Studio has a selectable fisheye removal that might work as well as any paid plugin.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Fisheye Remover FCPEffects vs Crumplepop 15 Jun 2016 14:09 #77855

• MarkNelsonMovies
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I use this www.alex4d.com/7-alex4d-wide-angle-fix-effect and it seems to work well.
I did open it in motion and add a scale parameter to squeeze the maximum quality out of my clips.

• Page: