Have you been put off by transcription services uploading your sensitive data to the cloud? Now you can stay local with Simon Says On-Prem.
We have to say that when we first saw this new product from the successful transcription service company Simon Says, we thought because of the naming, it only worked with Adobe Premiere!
But that's not what Simon Says On-Prem is about and yes, it will work with Final Cut Pro.
At the moment, the majority of transcription services work by sending timecode stamped audio files off into the cloud. You then modify the transcription in a browser and then download the result in whichever flavoured file you wish - from a simple Word document, to FCP captions ready to import on to the timeline with a few clicks.
That's great for a lot of jobs, but what if you are dealing with sensitive footage or high-profile productions that insist media doesn't leave their premises?
This is where the new Simon Says On-Prem can help. All the advantages of the cloud-based version that we all know (Read our FCP.co reviews here) but, transcription without any data leaving the location. Which should be good news to the IT guys who go around production departments trying to lock down everything.
We are very familiar with the cloud service, it is quick to set up and there's a great FCP workflow extension. Simon Says On-Prem is different.
There are two components to the location transcription. The Mac or PC app that sits on the client and then the separate AI engine that needs to run in Linux or run on a virtual machine on a Mac or PC. So this isn't something that a single or infrequent user is going to set up. More Simon Says On-Prem setup information here.
As for pricing, even though the transcription will be running remotely, hourly billing still applies. Prices start at $100 for 5 hours up to $10,000 for 1000 hours of location transcription.
- Runs locally - no data goes to the cloud
- Easy installation: a few clicks and 15 minutes
- Intuitive user interface
- Video transcript-synced text editor
- Mac/PC compatible, min. 16GB RAM
- Supports most audio and video file formats and codecs
- Syncs with the video’s start timecode/frame rate
- Timecode-based transcription in English, French, German, Spanish and dozens more
- Export to: text, SRT subtitles/captions, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro X, Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve, and Adobe Audition
- Organizations and enterprises with SOC 2 Type 2, TPN, CDSA, MPAA, and HIPAA compliance requirements, or who can’t send video to the cloud for other security reasons and want AI automated transcription services.
- Post production houses, television networks, and studios transcribing dailies, interviews and more, often with files that are large and need transcripts with timestamps, compatible with their workflow.
- Reality TV and other productions with high volume who may be working abroad, without an internet connection, to transcribe large file sizes and large volumes of content.
- Captioning keynotes, corporate presentations and branded videos for the web.
- Transcribe important, confidential meetings for internal record-keeping.
- Save time for a transcription where AI does the first pass and the transcriptionist can finalize the captions.
Don't forget you can still sign up for a free trial of the cloud-based version and take a look at Oliver Peter's article in the link below