fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 05 Aug 2013 07:02 #29473

I have clips in my timeline with rendered Magic Bullet Looks effects. But, if I slice any of these clips with blade tool in half FCP X wants to rerender them. Same happens if I try other minor adjustments with length of these clips. Why this is happening, does it really needs to rerender already rendered clips?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 05 Aug 2013 11:02 #29479

FCPX does not need to re-render clips when you blade them or when you change their duration. Nor when the clips have Effects on them that come bundled with FCPX (there are a few exceptions, but this goes for the vast majority of these Effects).

But FCPX will need to re-render when you have applied an Effect such as MB Looks to your clips. The same goes for many Effects from third-party suppliers such as Sapphire, Boris CC, CoreMelt, FXFactory, SugarFX etc... That's due to the way these effects work.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 06 Aug 2013 08:50 #29519

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Actually, when you blade a clip, the original render file becomes invalid, as you now have two separate clips (with two separate clip identifiers in the timeline XML or example), not the one original, and yes, it will have to re-render them. Especially if you have third party or multiple effects on it.

Last edit: by BenB.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 06 Aug 2013 23:07 #29542

BenB: Actually, when you blade a clip, the original render file becomes invalid, as you now have two separate clips ..... and yes, it will have to re-render them

Not in FCPX.

That's the beauty of the AV/Foundation framework. When you blade a rendered clip on the timeline you create different instances of that rendered clip, and each instance will still refer to its specific part of the original render file metadata. So you won't have to re-render anything, not even when you move the instances in the timeline or when you change their length (as long as you don't make any instance longer than the original rendered clip). And not even when you delete the rendered clip from the timeline and you re-edit the same original clip from the Event Browser back into the timeline.

Same when you add multiple FCPX Effects to a clip (Effects that are part of the FCPX Effects bundle, with a few exceptions that use FX-Plug plugins). When you render the clip with the multiple effects and you blade the rendered clip you won't have to re-render either. This is unique to FCPX.

I have made a little video to illustrate this. You can download it here if you wish:

we.tl/HBx8oUO4eN

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 11:26 #29557

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1278
Ronny, I can blade clips I've rendered, and I get render lines back. Simple as that.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 11:36 #29559

That's really interesting Ronnie and thank's for posting the clip. And these are just some more observations on this theme.

What you have illustrated is correct. However if you were then to move your clip ( with core FCPX FX ) up to become a connected that's fine - no rendering required.

But if you copy that clip to create a string of connected clips they all need to be rendered.

If you then encapsulate the string of connected clips as a storyline you can swap them around happily

But slice the clip and it require re-rendering.

All this is vaguely interesting in exploring the anomalies of rendering in FCPX.

But what however is fascinating and relates to the original post in this thread is that if you apply a third party pluging FX and then encapsulate it within a compound clip it is then possibe to slice it without it requiring to be re-renderered.

I've tried this with a clip with a Crumplepop filter applied ( Stingray X ) and you can slice it and move the sections around with no re-rendering required.

So my suggestion to 'Briesmas' is to encapsulate the treated clip as a compound.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 12:36 #29560

Ben,

Like the video clearly shows I can cut up rendered clips as much as I want. No need to re-render, even when the clip has multiple Core Effects on it. Just stating the fact.

Mark,

I have tried your suggestion. I have applied a MB Looks Effect to a clip, then rendered the clip.

When I slice up the rendered clip the slices become unrendered, which seems normal when an FxPlug Effect is used on a clip.

But when I turn the rendered clip with the MB Looks Effect into a CC and then I slice the CC the slices stay rendered.

So yes, your advice to turn the rendered clip into a CC before slicing it up seems correct. When you do this no re-rendering is required. Good to know that.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 12:54 #29561

Ronny,

CCs are great but I'm still struggling to get over how much they have changed from the how they were when FCPX launched, unwieldy GB guzzlers, so I don't tend to use them as much as I probably should.

I have cut some jobs using CCs in the event browser but tend to work in projects, create a CC and paste multiple CCs in a new project to assemble the final film.

Just out of interest what screen capture software do you use?

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 13:00 #29562

I agree, CCs should be used carefully. But since 10.0.8 a lot has changed in the way CCs are created and managed. I feel they work much better now.

When you create Projects as CCs it is imperative that you have a solid backup system for your Events. When an Event gets corrupted you also lose your CCs. Event media are easy to restore, CCs are lost forever.

I have ScreenFlow and Snapz Pro. This one has been done with Snapz Pro X.

Last edit: by ronny courtens.

Minor clip adjustments makes Bullet Looks effects to rerender 07 Aug 2013 15:46 #29573

Thanks for the video, Ronny, very informative.

• Page: