Many internet users have facebook accounts, not MOST. Latest stats have about 1B facebook users out of 2.4B internet users. Roughly 42% of internet users are facebook users. The other 58% can't comment on this site.
I've let my opinions of being Facebook comments and Twitter contest exclusives be known already, and have been chastised for it. Don't think anything is going to change. Other sites are forcing us to register with Big Brother or else not have access to the services. That's the way of the world today.
I know a lot of people (particularly young people by the way) who do not use FB as a matter of principle. Which I think is fair enough. Like lets face it FB is bulls**t. Most intelligent people know this. And lets imagine that it goes the way of My Space in another year or two. Then you guys have this comment system based on a dead horse so to speak.
You need a plan B. A back up system if you will. All editors know this. Roll your own comment system. Have FB as an option but only as an option. Can you guys not get some kind of Captcha system going with a view to avoiding Spam? Seriously serious! For me it is a very important principle.
PS am I blind or is there no option for me to decide whether this comment is posted on FB on not!?! I am curious to see if this turns up on my FB profile…
A tempest in a teacup? I don't have an Facebook account either. However, if one finds an article interesting, what stops you to open a thread in the forum to discuss said article? Or do I see something wrong?