fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Camera settings?

Camera settings? 02 Sep 2020 07:57 #109779

• CubVideographer
  • CubVideographer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am new to shooting video, and am unsure which settings I should be shooting at on my iPhone 6S Plus with Filmic Pro.

I am trying to get a clip-on ND filter, but everything is on backorder due to the pandemic. :angry:

I have decided that i want to stick with 24FPS, and so I thought that meant I should shoot at a shutetr speed of 1/48 of a second, but I'm not really sure how to handle Shutter Speed and ISO.

Many years ago I was a serious amateur photographer, and I always shot completely manual, and I thought I felt comfortable with exposure settings, but not having the ability to adjust aperture, I'm not comfortable or sure how to adjust exposure just having shutter speed and ISO at my disposal...

I did a test interview at 4K this afternoon, but the background almost looks staticy like an old analog TV...

It looks like I shot earlier today at 1/48 sec and IO of 225.

Without an ND filter, I know sometimes I have to crank up ISO to like 1,000 or whatever to compensate for a sunny day, OR I have to crank up shutter speed which I was under the impression would break the "cinematic look".

It's strange that I saw static (?) in my video from earlier today, because this was shot inside with average lighting, so I thought the ISO of 225 wasn't maybe too high, although in terms of film that would be a high-speed film.

Could use some help here so that I get the best results and ones that both look "cinematic" and also simply "professional"!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Camera settings? 03 Sep 2020 16:32 #109822

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 370
I've only used Filmic Pro for tests. You are correct that in general using a fixed 1/48th or 1/50th sec shutter for 24 fps is best. Aperture and ISO can vary. That's one reason why video is harder than stills -- you don't have the freedom to balance exposure with shutter speed.

Also if the camera's exposure logic doesn't have sufficient "hysterisis" (IOW the same effect preventing an HVAC thermostat from oscillating around a set point), the camera may oscillate between two auto-ISO exposure settings. If so it can be better to use fixed ISO, but then that becomes yet another manual setting you must watch and adjust.

Re "static" that might be video noise. If Filmic Pro disables smoothing or noise reduction, that could be expected. If you could post an image maybe we could better advise.

Last edit: by joema.

Camera settings? 03 Sep 2020 16:59 #109824

• CubVideographer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote: I've only used Filmic Pro for tests. You are correct that in general using a fixed 1/48th or 1/50th sec shutter for 24 fps is best.

If I am shooting 24FPS and I decrease the shutter speed, what happens?

If I am shooting 24FPS and I increase the shutter speed, what happens?

joema wrote: Aperture and ISO can vary. That's one reason why video is harder than stills -- you don't have the freedom to balance exposure with shutter speed.

Well, since I am shooting with an iPhone 6S Plus, I don't have the luxury of changing aperture.

joema wrote: Also if the camera's exposure logic doesn't have sufficient "hysterisis" (IOW the same effect preventing an HVAC thermostat from oscillating around a set point), the camera may oscillate between two auto-ISO exposure settings. If so it can be better to use fixed ISO, but then that becomes yet another manual setting you must watch and adjust.

I can't comment on what my iPhone does.

From what I have heard, I need a nuetral-density filter to help control exposure and allow me to keep shutter speed and ISO at reasonable levels, but the ND filter I want is on backorder for who knows how long... :(

As I recall, in Filmic Pro if I et my shitter speed to 1/48sec then I have to vary the ISO an insane amount depending on if I am filming someone inside or outside on a sunny day.

Back when I shot with a camera, your choices for ISO ranged from 50 to 100 to maybe up to 400 in practical terms.

I think on my iPhone, I have had to dial things in to maybe over 1,000 for ISO on a sunny day and that just doesn't compute in my brain?!

So what approach should I take with all of this?

Since I am a beginner, I'd like to start off with plain-vanilla 24FPS with good exposure and concentrate on composition instead of this stuff.

joema wrote: Re "static" that might be video noise. If Filmic Pro disables smoothing or noise reduction, that could be expected. If you could post an image maybe we could better advise.

Let me see what I can do...

Camera settings? 04 Sep 2020 04:05 #109833

• Larrie
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Don’t over think this. As you say “you are a beginner with an iPhone.” You can just start shooting with different settings till you find the ones you like best. Work with those till you become comfortable with them and move on from there.

Camera settings? 04 Sep 2020 12:56 #109846

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

CubVideographer wrote:

See "DPReview TV: How to set exposure when shooting video", starting at 03:50:

CubVideographer wrote: Since I am shooting with an iPhone 6S Plus, I don't have the luxury of changing aperture.

Since you are using Filmic Pro you can manually change aperture.

CubVideographer wrote: As I recall, in Filmic Pro if I et my shitter speed to 1/48sec then I have to vary the ISO an insane amount depending on if I am filming someone inside or outside on a sunny day.

I think on my iPhone, I have had to dial things in to maybe over 1,000 for ISO on a sunny day and that just doesn't compute in my brain?!

Typically if shooting outside at a fixed aperture and shutter speed, the problem is too much light, and ISO can only go so low. If cameras could go to ISO 1 you wouldn't need ND, but they cannot do that.

CubVideographer wrote: So what approach should I take with all of this?

Since your camera is an iPhone 6S, look into forums where people are using that for serious filmmaking. See what techniques and accessories they use. These are basic filmmaking questions, not related to FCPX.

CubVideographer wrote: Since I am a beginner, I'd like to start off with plain-vanilla 24FPS with good exposure and concentrate on composition instead of this stuff...

Yes, correct. It is all about composition and artistic planning. The technical stuff simply enables that.

Here is a commercial shot on an iPhone 6S:

Camera settings? 05 Sep 2020 16:49 #109865

• CubVideographer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote:

See "DPReview TV: How to set exposure when shooting video", starting at 03:50:

Interesting video, but it sorta went too fast to pick up everything.

It is clearer to me now after seeing the part with the drummer, how too fast of a shutter speed makes things look unnatural.

So I would prefer to stick with 24FPS and 1/48 sec shutter speed.

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: Since I am shooting with an iPhone 6S Plus, I don't have the luxury of changing aperture.

Since you are using Filmic Pro you can manually change aperture.

Not that I know of...

How would you change the aperture in Filmic Pro>

You can change the Shutter Speed and ISO and Zoom and Focus, but the Aperture is locked at something like F2.8 on the iPhone 6S Plus, if I'm not mistaken...

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: As I recall, in Filmic Pro, if I set my shitter speed to 1/48sec then I have to vary the ISO an insane amount depending on if I am filming someone inside or outside on a sunny day.

Typically if shooting outside at a fixed aperture and shutter speed, the problem is too much light, and ISO can only go so low. If cameras could go to ISO 1 you wouldn't need ND, but they cannot do that.

Similar to my shutter speed question above, what happens if your ISO is too high?

What happens if your ISO is too low?

Coming from photography and film, you wouldn't practically ever have an ISO over 400 or under 50 so you're very limited there.

I have seen the ISO in Filmic Pro go to almost 1,000 and down to maybe 25.

That doesn't seem natural to me, and I'm not sure how it would affect the end results of my video.

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: So what approach should I take with all of this?

Since your camera is an iPhone 6S, look into forums where people are using that for serious filmmaking. See what techniques and accessories they use. These are basic filmmaking questions, not related to FCPX.

Can you recommend some forums for that?

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: Since I am a beginner, I'd like to start off with plain-vanilla 24FPS with good exposure and concentrate on composition instead of this stuff...

Yes, correct. It is all about composition and artistic planning. The technical stuff simply enables that.

Here is a commercial shot on an iPhone 6S:

Cool video!

(I wonder how much one of those suites cost? And I wonder how much a Bentley costs?)

Camera settings? 05 Sep 2020 17:42 #109868

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

CubVideographer wrote: ...How would you change the aperture in Filmic Pro>

You can change the Shutter Speed and ISO and Zoom and Focus, but the Aperture is locked at something like F2.8 on the iPhone 6S Plus, if I'm not mistaken...

You are correct, I was mistaken. There is no aperture control in Filmic Pro on an iPhone because there's no physical iris. However depending on the iPhone model, some have multiple lenses, each with a different aperture. You can select the lens, assuming your model of iPhone has different lenses.

CubVideographer wrote: ....Similar to my shutter speed question above, what happens if your ISO is too high?...What happens if your ISO is too low?

If your ISO is too high the image will be over-exposed. If your ISO is too low it will be under-exposed.

CubVideographer wrote: ....Can you recommend some forums for that?

I don't do iPhone videography, and I only have Filmic Pro for a brief test I did last year. I'm not familiar with specific video forums oriented around smartphone videography, but I'm sure they exist. I just did a Google search and I see Filmic Pro has a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/FilmicPro

Camera settings? 05 Sep 2020 21:25 #109869

• CubVideographer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

joema wrote: You are correct, I was mistaken. There is no aperture control in Filmic Pro on an iPhone because there's no physical iris. However depending on the iPhone model, some have multiple lenses, each with a different aperture. You can select the lens, assuming your model of iPhone has different lenses.

I'm stuck with one F2.8 lens on my iPhone 6S Plus. Maybe someday if I get an iPhone 11 then I can take advantage of multiple lens.

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: ....Similar to my shutter speed question above, what happens if your ISO is too high?...What happens if your ISO is too low?

If your ISO is too high the image will be over-exposed. If your ISO is too low it will be under-exposed.

Right, but does anything else happen?

Like does a really high or really lo ISO affect quality or cause graininess, etc?

Right now it is really sunny outside as the sun is dropping in the sky, so I turned on Filmic Pro and did a test...

At 24FPS and 1/48 sec SS, the lowest the ISo will go is 23, and the scene is almost entirely white/blown out.

Then if I bring my camera away from the window and point it into a darker corner, still set at 23 ISO the frame goes almost black.

If I dial the ISO up to 736 then things are properly exposed.

I think I'm more concerned shooting at an ISO of 736 than at an ISO of 23, but either way, I was curious how shooting outside of the traditional film ISO range of 50 - 400 ISO would impact my videos?

A faster shutter speed should allow me to use a higher ISO, right?

If I was outside on a sunny day, and I still didn't have my ND filter yet, would I want to compromise and increase the shutter speed to say 1/96 sec to allow me to use a higher ISO?

Or if I was inside and it was dark, would there be any harm in shooting at say 1/24 sec to allow me to use a lower shutter speed?

(All of this would be easy for me to gauge using manual shutter speed and aperture on a camera, but on video, this shutter speed/ISO combination is throwing me off!)

joema wrote:

CubVideographer wrote: ....Can you recommend some forums for that?

I don't do iPhone videography, and I only have Filmic Pro for a brief test I did last year. I'm not familiar with specific video forums oriented around smartphone videography, but I'm sure they exist. I just did a Google search and I see Filmic Pro has a Facebook page: www.facebook.com/FilmicPro

Thanks, but I stay away from Facebook.

Would a photography forum help, or do I need a more specifci video forum or an even more specific iPhone forum?

Camera settings? 06 Sep 2020 11:38 #109875

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

CubVideographer wrote: ...Thanks, but I stay away from Facebook.

Would a photography forum help, or do I need a more specifci video forum or an even more specific iPhone forum?

I don't like Facebook either; I think the UI is poor for extended forum-type discussions on desktop/laptop platforms. However that doesn't matter -- many companies and technical communities have switched from forum software to Facebook. Like it or not, if you want community tech support or support from hardware or software manufacturers, you increasingly must use Facebook.

All your questions relate to iPhone videography, not FCPX. I suggest you Google iPhone, Filmic Pro, etc and see what you can find. If you have a specific FCPX question we can help you here.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: