fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: When will my plug-ins work with my new Mac Mini Silicon?

When will my plug-ins work with my new Mac Mini Silicon? 12 Jan 2021 16:33 #112029

I'm wondering if anyone knows when most paid plug-ins will be Silicon ready? FX Factory, Pixelfilm Studios, Cinema Grade, ReelSmart Motionblur, RippleTraining, Cineflare and others....none of them are updated. Is there something I'm supposed to do at my end?  The folks at Ripple, the only ones yet to respond to my queries, said the "ball was in Apple's court," but in FCPX, when the warning of incompatible plug-ins comes up, it says to contact the plug-in creators. Thank you for any info!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

When will my plug-ins work with my new Mac Mini Silicon? 12 Jan 2021 18:08 #112031

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 395

BobKrist wrote: I'm wondering if anyone knows when most paid plug-ins will be Silicon ready?..

Some plugins are based on Motion -- things like titles and info graphics. While quite useful, those are internally written as Motion documents. Many of those are ready for Apple Silicon now. E.g, www.motionvfx.com/applesilicon

Some sophisticated plugins (Neat Video, Color Finale, CoreMelt Lock-n-Load, etc) are coded in Objective-C or Swift using the FxPlug 3 framework. That compiled plugin code is x86 and runs within the address space of FCP, but Rosetta2 cannot emulate mixed ARM64 and x86 code within a process.

Those plugins must be re-written using the new FxPlug 4 framework for Apple Silicon, and can exist in a separate host address space. This should help reliability, and FxPlug 4 also promises better multi-threaded operation, and more control over rendering. 

However there are additional requirements on the developer using FxPlug 4, beyond the previous FxPlug 3 framework, esp regarding things like thread safety. It appears this class of plugin will require more work than a recompile, so I'm not sure when those will be delivered in native Apple Silicon form. 

But -- there have been some positive statements from Digital Anarchy (Flicker Free, etc) and CoreMelt they they're making good progress on the Apple Silicon version of their plugins. I think one of them said within a few months and they might have a ready product. This will vary between each plugin developer.

One source indicated the FxPlug 4 framework itself needs a few tweaks, and maybe that explains the "ball in Apple's court" statement. 

Last edit: by joema.

When will my plug-ins work with my new Mac Mini Silicon? 13 Jan 2021 01:15 #112039

Thanks for that info. Seems like we've still got a long way to go to. I hope they do it soon, I hadn't realized how dependent I was on a lot of these plug-ins until they were gone!

When will my plug-ins work with my new Mac Mini Silicon? 13 Jan 2021 02:04 #112040

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 563
A few are ready now, not everything, but a few.
support.apple.com/en-hk/HT211941

Last edit: by Ben Balser.
  • Page: