fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Some Storage Location for the Library ___ are unavailable 25 Jan 2021 03:21 #112303

I re-structured a large NAS - 80 TB , brought back the backup libraries and supporting files, everything looked good, needed minor relinking, then suddenly, I received the message: Some Locations for the Library <library name> are unavailable"

I tried to use the drop down to locate the library and then the storage, nothing seemed to work, I get a message when I click OK = " The operation could not be completed, Is a directory"
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Some Storage Location for the Library ___ are unavailable 25 Jan 2021 15:08 #112312

• joema
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 405

jimconnor wrote: I re-structured a large NAS - 80 TB , brought back the backup libraries and supporting files, everything looked good, needed minor relinking, then suddenly, I received the message: Some Locations for the Library <library name> are unavailable"

I tried to use the drop down to locate the library and then the storage, nothing seemed to work, I get a message when I click OK = " The operation could not be completed, Is a directory"

You had previously defined a storage location using the library inspector Storage Locations>Modify Settings. That consisted of a drive volume name and a folder location. You then moved that somewhere else, maybe on a different logical drive. When you do that, just telling FCP the new storage location in the library inspector is not sufficient. You'll need to relink any missing media files.

This is counter-intuitive, but the library inspector "Modify Settings" dialog doesn't tell FCP where existing relocated media is. Rather it defines a location to store subsequent imported or generated media. If moved to a different logical drive, the media in that folder tree will need re-linking.

To verify this, select a single missing media file, do File>Relink Files>Original Media -- but do not perform the relink. Just look at the grey pathname at the bottom of the dialog. That is where FCP currently expects the file to be. Relink those files to the new location.

To verify the full pathname of the current specified storage location in the library inspector, do Storage Locations>Modify Settings, and hover your mouse pointer over the Media entry. That will cause a "tool tip" popup which shows the full pathname. In Finder verify that path really exists at the expected location.

Another possible complication is when using multiple libraries. It's possible the media needed for one library is referenced inside another library. This can happen accidentally because when creating a new library, by default FCP uses the media storage location of the last library selected. E.g, if you had Library 1 open and it used a certain storage location you defined, then you create Library 2, the media storage location for Library 2 will point to Library 1's media folder.

The 3rd-party tool Final Cut Library Manager has an optional feature to create a CSV file listing the pathname of every file in a library. This is sometimes useful when debugging problems like this: www.arcticwhiteness.com/finalcutlibrarymanager/

Some Storage Location for the Library ___ are unavailable 21 Feb 2021 02:08 #112822

The depth of your explanation is very much appreciated. I have recovered most for the library events, and the process did encourage me to re-organize the data prior to re-linking. Re-linking is very powerful. The recorded clips were the easiest to re-link, right from the original media folder, the retrieval was blazingly fast. Relinking cutaway and audio clips was more challenging and some of the media had to be re-sized and re-oriented as the image edits were not available in the library. Once again, thank you for the information, Jim

Some Storage Location for the Library ___ are unavailable 21 Feb 2021 18:43 #112835

Please unsubscribe me. I can't find the button to do that?

• Page: