fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 09 Mar 2021 22:10 #113261

Hi. I'm currently testing the trial of FCP to see if I want to switch from my current NLE and would also be using Motion if I make the switch. Since there's no Motion trial, I've been watching a lot of videos, and have one question.

Can motion make FPS independent transitions, meaning the transition will perform exactly the same on any FCP video no matter the project FPS?

In all the tutorials, the creators set the transition FPS & resolution of the transition as the very first thing when they make a transition, which makes me wonder if I'll have to create the same transition multiple times depending on what frame rate I'm using for that particular video. Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 10 Mar 2021 06:29 #113266

• sc_fox
  • Thank you received: 13
The answer is yes. In ALL the tutorials, the creators are wasting their time purposely setting the frame rate (and it's embarrassing to watch the ones that still use NTSC frame rates.)
It doesn't make any difference what the Motion Template project frame rate is — it will be conformed to whatever frame rate you use in FCPX. There is a "gotcha" and it is related to: what if you want to "force" a template to emulate cartoon animation (10 or 15fps) frame rates?
discussions.apple.com/thread/252495540

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 10 Mar 2021 14:25 #113280

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 632
"(and it's embarrassing to watch the ones that still use NTSC frame rates.)"
Some of us work in broadcast TV and have to use them, they're still valid and mandatory in a lot of work.

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 10 Mar 2021 22:16 #113295

• sc_fox
  • Thank you received: 13
I know. I usually add - unless you're expressly directed to use by a broadcast station...

Why are they mandatory? (I haven't been able to ferret out a decent explanation). The one I hate the most is "that's the way it's always been done" (which is a lie) and the other is "we don't want to upgrade our equipment yet".

Nobody is receiving an analog signal anymore. Low Power Stations are mandated to be 100% digital or cease broadcasting on June 20 this year according to the FCC. Regular broadcast stations are not low power and they've been broadcasting digitally for at least the last 10 years. It took less time to engineer this mess (fractional frame rates - ~1949 to 1953) than it has to ***let it go***.

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 11 Mar 2021 00:01 #113297

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Why are they mandatory? Over-air transmitters have to confirm to broadcast standards. And there are millions of us low-power stations all over the US. Digital has nothing to do with it, it's still a standard, TV sets are geared towards it, FCC still sets it as the standard. ATSC 3.0 will change that in 2-3 years.

TV sets, transmitters, encoders, a lot of hardware is in the broadcast chain. Just changing something willy-nilly can cause lots of folks to no longer receive signals properly. Just because it can technically be done doesn't mean it can in a practical sense.

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 12 Mar 2021 22:44 #113363

Thank you both for the replies. I was hoping that was the case and kind of thought it was but couldn't find the answer anywhere. Have a great weekend!

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 13 Mar 2021 04:46 #113365

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
To answer you original question, yes, the transitions, effects, etc, you make in Motion and publish to FCP are pretty much frame rate independent.

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 13 Mar 2021 21:21 #113367

FCP/Motion are using a time based metaphor, other NLE still go the frame based way.
So if you create a transition in Motion which is 1 second it will be 1 second everywhere except for NTSC broadcast - it will be 1.001 seconds. For other values you always will get the best match.
So my advice: don't worry – at least here, but still keep in mind video is framebased and a drop-frame might be a dropped frame :-)

Can Motion Make FPS Independent Transitions? 13 Mar 2021 23:44 #113368

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • bbalser.com
Although technically accurate, I've never had issues with what Kiel points out, doing drop-frame TV broadcast for years. IMHO it is a non-issue.

• Page: