fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
25 Jan 2021
New boarders will have their posts moderated - Don't worry if you cannot see your post immediately.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 05 Apr 2021 15:17 #113823

If you are mixing audio for delivery using your NLE, you need to not only monitor levels, but also check the loudness of the entire programme. Oliver Peters explains levels, loudness and LUFs.

Read more...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 06 Apr 2021 06:53 #113824

-23 LUFS is for film and TV. -13 to -15 is for internet and streaming(user content based, not netflix and hbo etc.) right ? so if you would like to have control of the facebook/vimeo/youtube video, you have to stay @ around -14LUFS on the LU-I meter.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 06 Apr 2021 12:53 #113830

Correct. Every outlet has its own guidelines and you have to get their specification guides to know. As far as outlets like YouTube, there is some grace (versus broadcast, Netflix, etc), because they use additional processing to normalize your files to their specs.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 07 Apr 2021 05:45 #113845

NUGEN Audio has a plugin called MasterCheck. MasterCheck lets you check your levels for multiple outputs at once. No need for guessing; it's all monitored with a clear UI.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 07 Apr 2021 12:52 #113851

Cool. Yes, Nugen makes nice stuff. The multiple outputs check is great. Although in the article, I was trying to stick with tools that you already have or can be inexpensively added. It seems the Klangfreund meter/filter basically does the same, but with a less fancy UI, albeit at a single level. But an editor really needs to understand FCP's signal flow. If MasterCheck works as a plug-in, then placing it (or any other plug-in) at the wrong point in the flow would result in incorrect readings. There are also others, like iZotope RX Loudness, which work by rendering the audio. Regardless, MasterCheck is a good suggestion. Thanks.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 07 Apr 2021 15:56 #113853

I didn't want to criticise your piece which is brilliant as usual. Sorry if I gave that impression. Of course an editor should know FCP's signal flow. And you're right, you still need to work out where in the flow to put the plug-in.

Is Your Audio Mix Too Loud? 07 Apr 2021 18:37 #113855

No, not at all! I didn't take it that way. :) Thanks.

• Page: