• Page:

TOPIC: Widescreen Assistance

Widescreen Assistance 23 Aug 2013 20:03 #30306

• Eunderstand
  • Eunderstand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am working on a project for a company and need some assistance.

They want the video to be widescreen edited. I have never edited a video in wide screen.

So I have few questions.

-Does any one know to get the widescreen effect on FCPX? (the black bars top and bottom)

-Also in shooting the video for betting editing widescreen any tips?

Its going to be shot just similar to this but with a wide screen edit

I am using a Canon 7D SLR with wide screen lenses.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Widescreen Assistance 23 Aug 2013 23:00 #30311

• canelson
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 46
If you are shooting in HD, the video is widescreen by default. If you want to add black bars to that HD video, download Alex4D Widescreen plugin and apply it to every clip you want the black bars to be (or to an adjustment layer on top of everything if you want the same bars to all your footage, but if you apply to every clip, you can reframe every clip up and down if they need to).

If your final delivery is SD (which I think it won't be) just edit everything in an HD project, when you finish you can export a master file for yourself and then import it back to FCP X in a SD timeline and the black bars will be added automatically.

Hope it helps! Let me know if you have any other doubts.
--
Matias Canelson
www.canelson.us

Widescreen Assistance 24 Aug 2013 01:49 #30315

• Eunderstand
  • Eunderstand's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Canelson

Thank you so much for this resource. You answered exactly what I needed for this resource perfectly.

My next question is black and white color editing. Any suggestions to find something crisp and great. I know FCPX has its standard coloring adjustments but any more?

Thanks

Widescreen Assistance 24 Aug 2013 22:47 #30357

• ronny courtens
  • Thank you received: 892
Just desaturating in the Color Board wont give you any good looking B&W. There are many B&W filters for FCPX that will do this better, if you do a google search you should be able to find one that looks interesting for you.

This said you don't really need to pay for any filters to do this. There's an old film processing trick for turning color video into punchy B&W that you can also use in FCPX. I have made a little video about this, if you want you can download it here: we.tl/EfJLqiVnbD

- Ronny

• Page: