Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4k Hardware Strategy

4k Hardware Strategy 16 Oct 2014 19:17 #54223

• elliottjessup
  • elliottjessup's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Those who say it cannot be done... should get out of the way of those who are already doing it.
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking for some general strategy advice as I upgrade my systems for editing underwater 4k footage (XAVC footage from a Sony Z-100).

I'm currently using a late 2012 13" rMBP w/ 2.9 Ghz i7 and 8gb of memory. I'm shooting and doing dailies in the field, which is a bit painful with my current machine, transferring everything to multiple 2tb USB3 drives (that are likely too slow for the work I'm doing).

I then tend to edit back in the office- it's nice to have the ability to edit from the field, but not a requirement.

So, I'm considering the following options:

1) Upgrade to a maxed out 15" rMBP and purchase dual 4k displays, allowing me to do dailies in the field and then edit and preview 4k footage.
2) Upgrade to a Mac Pro (specs?), with dual 4k displays, and keep the 13" for dailies/travel.
3) Upgrade to the new 5k iMac instead of the Mac Pro, and keep the 13" for dailies/travel.

I guess a last (maybe best) option would be to go with 2 or 3, but also upgrade to the 15" rMBP, though I like the size of the 13" for the amount of travel I do.

Lastly, any suggestions for storage/drives would be appreciated considering I'm working in the field and back in the office... often for up to a month at a time.

Thanks in advance for any input here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4k Hardware Strategy 06 Nov 2014 01:15 #55568

• solidww
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Can you work with Proxies on that 13" Macbook Pro?

4k Hardware Strategy 06 Nov 2014 01:26 #55570

• elliottjessup
  • elliottjessup's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Those who say it cannot be done... should get out of the way of those who are already doing it.
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, it's just a bit..challenging, but that's the route I'm taking. I just ordered the new 5k iMac, maxed out.

By the time 13" rMBP dies or becomes outdated, I'm sure there will be one that makes dailies/proxy a bit more efficient.

Also, I ordered a pegasus raid system for the iMac, but does anyone have recommendations on fast, high capacity drives for travel?

4k Hardware Strategy 06 Nov 2014 01:30 #55571

• solidww
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
If you can take the iMac with you they have carrying cases for it.

I know a few people that take iMacs on the road.

• Page: