• Page:

TOPIC: Heat Issues with the iMac 5K

Heat Issues with the iMac 5K 26 Jun 2015 23:08 #65925

• hcraig
  • hcraig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is anyone using the 2013-2014 27-inch iMac, 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz? Would you be able to tell me does the computer get hot, and is it noisy during editing, rendering and general usage like the 27-inch 5K iMac, or silent?

It's been reported that the iMac 5K models have heating issues when editing and rendering. Here are two articles about these issues.

forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-retina...d-fan-noise.1831739/

discussions.apple.com/thread/6641477?start=15&tstart=0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Heat Issues with the iMac 5K 08 Jul 2015 13:59 #66272

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

hcraig wrote: Is anyone using the 2013-2014 27-inch iMac, 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz? Would you be able to tell me does the computer get hot, and is it noisy during editing, rendering and general usage like the 27-inch 5K iMac, or silent?...

I do lots of video editing on a 2013 iMac 27 with 3.5Ghz i7. In general it is not noisy during normal editing but during sustained export or transcoding the fans can become quite audible. As a % of my usage time this is pretty small.

Many of the complaints about the 5k iMac are knee jerk reactions to narrow situations (typically gaming). They are not patient, methodical evaluations under controlled conditions. However the top-spec 5k iMac fans probably spin up a little earlier and may stay on longer than the 2013-2014 model -- but then so do the fans on my 2015 MacBook Pro, and I don't see the same crowd complaining about that.

If I were getting an iMac today for video editing it would be the 4Ghz 5k iMac 27 with SSD and the top-end M295X GPU.

That said, there are some good deals on factory-refurbished 2013-2014 models. However in video editing you can never have too much CPU or GPU, and the top-spec 5k iMac is faster.

If you don't need one for a few months you could wait and evaluate the next version, possibly to be released late this fall. No specifics are available.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: