• Page:

TOPIC: New 2015 5K iMac and Fan Noise

New 2015 5K iMac and Fan Noise 25 Dec 2015 04:05 #71715

• hcraig
  • hcraig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
For those of you who are editing with the late 2015 5K iMac, how loud does the fan noise get during video editing with FCP X, when you export a video and standard operating usage?

I'd like to know if the newer iMacs are as noisy as the first generation of 5K iMacs.

Also, how hot does the new iMac get?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New 2015 5K iMac and Fan Noise 26 Dec 2015 09:46 #71719

• alexthecat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • - Hi my name is Alex and I like to lick porcupines too... - Hi Alex!
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Craig,

I own a late 2015 iMac for about a month so these are my first impressions. (i7+16gb Ram+512SSD+395 4gb video card).

- Very quiet during editing. Just one time I heard the fan running during a long and full of effects export.
Here in Italy is winter, not a cold one, but in my editing room we are at 19-20° celsius degrees. During summer we can go up to 26° also with conditioning. So a final word about heat and fan noise is expected in 6-7 months ;)

- Screen is beautiful, SSD is superfast. For FCPX I use a dell 27" for the timeline and the Retina for viewer. Nice!

These are the main pros. Some cons:

- El Capitan + FCPX 10.2.2 is more unstable than Yosemite on my 2008 Mac Pro. I had a couple of very bad crashes without using any particular plug-in. I think we have to wait for an optimized FCPX to get the best from the last OSX and the best speed.

- iMac is quiet but my external working drives on TB2 (Lacie 2big 8TB) makes an audible constant noise.
Sometimes I feel some lag with external drive but maybe is this model and I'd like to try something else, maybe a SSD raid.
I very much miss the expandability of the old Mac Pros line. It was also cleaner on desk without many cables around.
Today the only alternative is an hackintosh.

Hope this helps!
Bye!
Alex

New 2015 5K iMac and Fan Noise 26 Dec 2015 21:00 #71736

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361

hcraig wrote: For those of you who are editing with the late 2015 5K iMac, how loud does the fan noise get during video editing with FCP X, when you export a video and standard operating usage?...I'd like to know if the newer iMacs are as noisy as the first generation of 5K iMacs....

According to this test it does not get as hot, and thermal throttling is less likely:

On my 2015 iMac 27, I rarely hear any noise during editing. During export or if rendering compute-intensive effects in the timeline, you can hear the fan. It is much quieter than my 2015 top-spec Mac Book Pro and the fan does not spin up nearly as soon.

• Page: