fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monitor Suggestions?

Monitor Suggestions? 29 Jun 2014 22:43 #48853

• FCPGuy
  • FCPGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 3
After getting the latest Mac Pro I'em in the business for some Monitors (two) any suggestions?
I would like to get the Apple Thunderbolt Monitors but they feel a bit high for just a Thunderbolt connection.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Monitor Suggestions? 30 Jun 2014 03:44 #48863

• lotech
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
After looking at all the current crop of 4k monitors less than $US2K all of which are based off TN LCD technology so not great for colour reproduction and viewing angles I went the way of a 30" Dell U3014 which is 100% sRGB compatible and at the time only $US1224.

Theres also the new range of HP Dreamcolors - if only OS-X supported 10bit colour!

Monitor Suggestions? 01 Jul 2014 18:44 #49007

• FCPGuy
  • FCPGuy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
So I guess the HP Dreamcolors are not worth the cash on a Mac OSX system? I see even HP suggests Windows... how are they compared to Apple Thunderbolt monitor?

Doesn't Apple and Dell share the same panels?

Monitor Suggestions? 02 Jul 2014 01:59 #49016

• lotech
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I wouldn't buy a Thunderbolt monitor unless you can get a cheap refurb or deal as its only a matter of time until its replaced with a 4k model. I will say its nice to have external ports if you work mainly from a laptop but on a nMP I don't see any huge advantage.

Dell & Apple probably share the same panels but I'm not sure (Google would know). Either way you won't regret getting a close to accurate colour monitor - the difference on critical delivery things like compression blocks and banding on gradients are far more noticeable as those sorts of monitors. If you buy one new they'll also come factory calibrated and ready to go.

Monitor Suggestions? 02 Jul 2014 17:27 #49063

• cinemaloha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
I'm in the process of buying the LG Ultra Wide Screen for my iMac from Amazon but they just ran out of stock, it's backordered.

LG Ultra Wide 34" 34UM95 for $999

17 Reviews at 4.5 Stars. Here are the reviews .

Here are a few videos that talks about FCPX with this monitor.

FCPX at 1:43 (Not in English)

FCPX at 6:10

FCPX at 8:50

This video is about editing (PPro) at 3:07 & videos in general.
It's the 29" model & it's $424.

Good luck with your monitor search.

Last edit: by cinemaloha.

Monitor Suggestions? 03 Jul 2014 21:11 #49127

• shane82388
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

cinemaloha wrote: I'm in the process of buying the LG Ultra Wide Screen for my iMac from Amazon but they just ran out of stock, it's backordered.

LG Ultra Wide 34" 34UM95 for $999

17 Reviews at 4.5 Stars. Here are the reviews .

Here are a few videos that talks about FCPX with this monitor.

FCPX at 1:43 (Not in English)

FCPX at 8:50

Good luck with your monitor search.

I have a maxxed out late 2013 iMac so I got rid of my Thunderbolt Display...I just decided to go for the Mac Pro and sell the iMac because i find it lagging when putting more than 3 effects on clips, etc. I just can't stand waiting for the computer...it should be other way around.

Anyway, ordered Mac Pro, and have been searching for best monitor solution past couple days...almost ordered one of those LG 21:9 panels...

...but ended up getting a used Thunderbolt display again because I know they are good from experience, and those LG panels are out of stock everywhere and I can't stand to just have this little black cylinder on my desk, not being able to use it! :-)

Last edit: by shane82388.

Monitor Suggestions? 04 Jul 2014 16:32 #49188

• augustheat
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
After seeing it in person, I also purchased the new LG 34UM95. This thing is incredible! B&H has them for $899.00 through tomorrow (although each time the special expires they renew it). I also own an Apple Thunderbolt Display, and will use that as a second monitor now. Never thought I would be saying that...

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Monitor Suggestions? 04 Jul 2014 17:03 #49191

• cinemaloha
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36

shane82388 wrote:
I just can't stand waiting for the computer...it should be other way around.

Anyway, ordered Mac Pro, and have been searching for best monitor solution past couple days...almost ordered one of those LG 21:9 panels...

...but ended up getting a used Thunderbolt display again because I know they are good from experience, and those LG panels are out of stock everywhere and I can't stand to just have this little black cylinder on my desk, not being able to use it! :-)

I understand your frustration with waiting on a computer to catch up. When I'm editing & in the creative zone, I don't want a single second to waste any momentum I currently have.

Buy two 29" LG 21:9 Monitors vs one 27" Apple Thunderbolt monitor.

Monitor Suggestions? 10 Jul 2014 06:41 #49576

• steveb83
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure what your working on but personally for editing and grading of broadcast or film work I only work on a 10bit reference monitor which is then calibrated , it's 1920x1080p I proxie all my 5k projects edit them, grade and conform to say 2k or 4k whatever the client requires and then watch them back on 2k/4k projector.

Just my two pence worth as no one had mentioned 10bit reference level, but being predominantly a colourist I'd get shot if I didn't have reference monitor.

Monitor Suggestions? 17 Aug 2014 00:31 #51387

• jvasey
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

augustheat wrote: After seeing it in person, I also purchased the new LG 34UM95. This thing is incredible! B&H has them for $899.00 through tomorrow (although each time the special expires they renew it). I also own an Apple Thunderbolt Display, and will use that as a second monitor now. Never thought I would be saying that...

www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home...&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I started a new topic post in the Hardware> New Mac Pro category specifically asking for user comments on those editing with FCPX on the new LG34UM95-P monitor. The topic post is easy to spot as the subject is entitled "anyone editing in FCPX on the new widescreen LG 34UM95-P?" More specifically, the question deals with whether you can tell FCPX to put the Browser into one of those screen partitions you can toggle on in the new LG monitor. If anyone can address that, please post in that FCPX/LG thread…thanks!

• Page: