fcp.co logo transparent
fcp clapperboard
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
14 Nov 2020
Moving over to a new system, we couldn't take the old avatars - so please upload a new one!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 03 Dec 2020 00:51 #111197

• peteramwiggins
  • peteramwiggins's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Administrator :)
  • Thank you received: 384
Avid did a special hour and a half presentation for the Avid editors at post production house ENVY 

Take a look at how the new GUI is presented  *Spoiler Alert * 'Bin Inception'
The audio mixer demo starts at around 40 minutes in and multicam or grouping at 54:54

Worth a watch to see the experienced editor's questions

vimeo.com/486532899/79d085176c (sorry cannot embed the video)
Administrator
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by peteramwiggins.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 03 Dec 2020 18:46 #111218

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 563
Yes, I may be a bit biased, but...

OMG!  When you spend a full half-hour explaining how to arrange and re-arrange Bin Windows, that's just a waste of time.  None of which helps you edit faster or easier.  OMG, so out-dated...  (sigh)  That is the single most confusing, ugly, NOT user-friendly GUI I've ever seen...  

I love how much cleaning up of the GUI he had to do in order to show Multicam.  Laughable.  Then they have an Angle Editor (FCP term).  Wonder where they got that idea from?   So I drop a new camera angle into my multicam Group, and then have to do other things to make it an actual part of that Group?  ugh...  so confusing...

Why can't the same title tool work in HD and UHD+ video?  Why do you need two separate tools for titles?

So glad I don't have to use MC...

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 05 Dec 2020 05:43 #111255

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23

Ben Balser wrote: Yes, I may be a bit biased, but...

OMG!  When you spend a full half-hour explaining how to arrange and re-arrange Bin Windows, that's just a waste of time.  None of which helps you edit faster or easier. 

I love how much cleaning up of the GUI he had to do in order to show Multicam.  Laughable. 

I only watched a few minutes here and there. I don't think the demo was that good. Having said that I think the purpose was to demonstrate the flexibility of the GUI. FCPX has no flexibility. You can show the scopes or hide the scopes in FCXP but you cannot dock and undock them and place them where you want. That being said I don't like the fact that FCPX will not allow me to see two bins/keyword collections of my choice side by side or two sequences simultaneously.

If Avid supports multi-touch than I can see docking the color wheels or audio mixer to a touch screen eliminating the need for a control surface.  FCPX cannot do that.

I did not see the multi-cam part but I imagine once you have it set up they way you want you can save the layout. You would not be cleaning it up as you say every time.

That being said all the GUI customization I seen in the Avid video was available in Premiere Pro over 15 years ago. Keep in mind Premiere Pro and other NLEs can replicate the FCPX GUI but FCPX cannot replicate the GUI of other NLEs. That being said I wish FCPX could make use of the tilde key. I like a lot of things about FCPX but the GUI is not one of them.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 05 Dec 2020 05:59 #111256

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

peteramwiggins wrote: .

The audio mixer demo starts at around 40 minutes in and multicam or grouping at 54:54

vimeo.com/486532899/79d085176c (sorry cannot embed the video)

The audio mixer did not seem that impressive but I think the guy got interrupted.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 05 Dec 2020 06:27 #111257

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
I prefer FCP as I want to work, not waste time rearranging my GUI constantly and having to remember dozens and dozens of keyboard shortcuts.  I do not miss any of that from legacy FCP.  I've never needed to list bins side by side, as with FCP I can find what I need quickly, easily, and comparisons aren't necessary.

And I use the Tilde key in FCP all the time.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 06 Dec 2020 01:10 #111270

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ben Balser wrote: I prefer FCP as I want to work, not waste time rearranging my GUI constantly and having to remember dozens and dozens of keyboard shortcuts.  I do not miss any of that from legacy FCP.  I've never needed to list bins side by side, as with FCP I can find what I need quickly, easily, and comparisons aren't necessary.

And I use the Tilde key in FCP all the time.

What do you use the Tilde Key for? My version of FCPX is almost two years old and the Tilde Key has no functionality. With Premiere Pro it makes any panel full screen. Very handy.

I don't waste time rearranging  my GUI. I have five different saved layouts that are suited for different task that only require a simple keyboard short cut. There is no rearranging required. Having said that using keyboard short cuts is faster than a mouse. I use keyboard short cuts for FCPX, Resolve, AE, Audition etc. For my editing needs having two bins open simultaneously can be helpful at times but to each his own.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 06 Dec 2020 13:12 #111275

Ben Balser wrote: And I use the Tilde key in FCP all the time.

Ben, what do you mean by that ?

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 06 Dec 2020 20:54 #111280

• Ben Balser
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
Stem override... I use it several times an hour.  And personally, I only need one layout to get my work done, I can open/close panes fast enough, I'm good, thank you.

Tricks and QandA with AVID 2020 06 Dec 2020 23:00 #111281

• arc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Ben Balser wrote: Stem override... I use it several times an hour.  And personally, I only need one layout to get my work done, I can open/close panes fast enough, I'm good, thank you.

With FCPX I want the ability to be able to expand panels full screen (sequence, bins, database). Premiere Pro uses the Tilde Key for that purpose but FCPX could use another keyboard shortcut.  That is what I meant by making use of the Tilde Key.

• Page: