Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 08:28 #31761

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
So many of my friends can't tell the difference between DVD and Blu-ray it's not funny.

TV manufacturers are going to have to come up with a new feature pretty soon though. I held off buying in to LCDs until they had digital tuners as standard. I think I bought my last LCD TV (40") in around 2008 and said I wouldn't buy another one until they had 3D without glasses. Frankly, I don't care for 3D and couldn't care less if I ever owned a 3D TV or not, so they aren't going to sell me one based on that.

Now I'm waiting for 4K. I don't need to buy another TV at this point, although a larger and thinner one would be nice. The only thing that will make me open my wallet is for something extra in picture quality. 3D isn't it. 4K may be, provided there is some content.

Future TVs are going to have to be web connected (either directly or indirectly) because I can't see broadcasters stepping up to 4K anytime soon, at least not in the UK. We're still not there for the majority of programs for HD yet.

Blu-ray isn't up to the job and the vast majority of people in the UK at least don't even own a Blu-ray player, so why would they want 4K ?

4K is coming, but I don't think it's going to be in the majority of homes, at least in the UK, for 5-10 years and maybe more.

That doesn't mean I don't want to shoot and edit in 4K for the extra options it gives, but I realise it's also going to require an infrastructure refresh in terms of network and storage for me to do it on a regular basis.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 08:57 #31765

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
^^ this

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:05 #31766

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Also, back onto the topic of feature requests/speculations/dream scenarios: I'd love to see a better implementation of key framing in the timeline. Frankly, the current setup is terrible. I'm used to having access to my opacity key frames instantly, I really do hate having to 'show' the animation editor, and then twirl up the opacity settings, make my changes, and then collapse it all back down again, only I find that it's not quite right. It takes up far too much space in the timeline, all we need is a similar setup to the audio key framing, one that's built on top of the thumbnail, as in FCP7. One that you can turn on and off with a shortcut, so much more efficient.
It's the little things, like these, in my opinion, that'll help to tidy this app up. Along with the bigger additions that we've already discussed like collaborative editing and a better timeline organisation/management system. And of course, the option to have more control over your finder level organisation of projects - ie. splitting different projects into different locations, with self contained footage archives etc. not dumping every project into the 'movies' folder regardless...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:11 #31767

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Chazfest wrote: Also, back onto the topic of feature requests/speculations/dream scenarios: I'd love to see a better implementation of key framing in the timeline. Frankly, the current setup is terrible. I'm used to having access to my opacity key frames instantly, I really do hate having to 'show' the animation editor, and then twirl up the opacity settings, make my changes, and then collapse it all back down again, only I find that it's not quite right. It takes up far too much space in the timeline, all we need is a similar setup to the audio key framing, one that's built on top of the thumbnail, as in FCP7. One that you can turn on and off with a shortcut, so much more efficient.

Absolutely with you on this one. I hate the Ctrl V - oops where's all my space gone problems.

But I'd like to go further than that. I absolutely hate the way you have to adjust the height of all 'tracks' at the same time when i'd like to be able to change the height of just one or two individually as I work on them without the timeline become 5 monitors high and losing where I'm at.

I'd also like to find a way to have it zoom in and out of the timeline without it scrolling my playhead off the damn screen! Arrgghh!!!!

Auto scrolling timeline.... <sigh>

I'd like roles to be in the right click popup menu so when you right click on a clip you can change the roles right there instead of having to go all round the houses to find the options elsewhere.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:27 #31771

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 660

Dave_EP wrote: … Blu-ray isn't up to the job and the vast majority of people in the UK at least don't even own a Blu-ray player, …

Interesting - here, you really have to search to find any DVDplayers in the shops anymore! dwindling breed .....

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:28 #31772

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
As handy as a scrolling time line would be I think for what ever reason it's not there by design otherwise they would have added it by now. What I'd really like to see, although I know it wouldn't be regarded as a 'Pro' feature, is automatic ducking of audio like iMovie has. It could be a check box you click on and off maybe? Man, that would save me a bunch of time :)
Last edit: by CBlakeston. Reason: spelling

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:38 #31775

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110
Just wanted jump in real quick before I move on with this project on the 4K debate, since I'm working with it everyday with clients.

You are 100% right 4K in the home entrainment segment is overkill, unless you have enough room to add oversized screen in your first floor. But 4K is coming not because it's better, more because manufactures want the end user buy a 4K screen after they bought a HD and 3D screen. HD or 2K is more then fine for the standard eye.

For the broadcast side, well I would suggest broadcast won't be around in the traditional manner more a streaming platform. I can imagine a similar model as Apple has. More pixel more dollars.
SD $10
HD $20
Ultra HD $30 :sick:

or from the broadcaster
SD with commercials (Free)
HD on demand with commercials (low fee) as we know it today
Ultra HD on demand no commercials (high fee from the broadcaster and your online provider)

But as Nintendo proofed its not the resolution but more content that sales.

We will see, but I can imagine a stream multi-resolution future in the entertainment world.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:45 #31776

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

CBlakeston wrote: As handy as a scrolling time line would be I think for what ever reason it's not there by design otherwise they would have added it by now.

I don't know. It took Apple 1.5 years after the release of FCPX (10.0.6) to get something as basic as Copy and Paste attributes, a feature that saves us hours and hours and hours of time, and should be in every NLE.
Granted, AGAIN, they added it in a slightly better way then it was there in FCP7.
Recently I heard Premiere only got that feature also with CC.

Being able to only export a portion of the timeline also took until 10.0.6.
So the truth is, none of know what the roadmap is for FCPX. The only thing we know is that there IS one (Apple confirmed this when the program was released and got a lot of heat).

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 09:48 #31778

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Karsten Schlüter wrote:

Dave_EP wrote: … Blu-ray isn't up to the job and the vast majority of people in the UK at least don't even own a Blu-ray player, …

Interesting - here, you really have to search to find any DVDplayers in the shops anymore! dwindling breed .....

This is true, but very few people are buying either nowadays..... more or less anyone who wants a DVD player already has one already.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 10:10 #31781

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
When I edit on Avid the scrolling timeline is the first thing I switch off. Sounds good in theory but the reality of it is it's a pain in the butt to edit with as your timeline is constantly changing its position.

When I'm playing back for a client I use a side scrolling mouse which works perfectly.
So I hope Apple doesn't waste any time on this over any other feature like.

Remove attributes, custom timeline and event views, custom interface views, a proper trim mode, proper audio tools, Motion round tripping, keyframeable colour correction etc. ;)
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 11:35 #31787

• robertdee
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
My wishlist:

Motion roundtripping
3 Way Color Wheel CC
Audio Mixer
Selectable clips according to roles that you can apply attributes to as a batch (like nodes in Color)
Auto transcription and word search (Siri?)
Opacity adjustments on clip like audio keyframing (I really dislike the menu pop up for this)
Placing independent markers at set times on timeline (say at 3mins if you are aiming for a 3 min edit)
Event Manager X type integration in event/project handling
Better Project organisation (resizing strips would be good for a start)
Better archiving/media sharing with handles
Multiple user functionality over a server (I'm mostly sole user but I could sell it more to bigger clients I freelance with if this was available)
Finer frame picking for drop box selection in motion templates (bit haphazard at the moment)
Fix the bug where if you embed compound clip with stills with moves on them in a dropbox, the framing/scaling goes completely off.
Dedicated keyframe graph (like in Motion)

On a more elaborate note, when FCX was rumoured there was talk of it being based on 'rooms' so you'd have offline/graphics/grading/finish/etc and changes in one trickled through to the others. I liked the sound of this idea. For me personally, complete integration of Motion into FCPX would be great. I understand in practice it may be overkill for users who don't need it. Still, keyframe graphs, 3D cameras, graphics, type animations...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 12:03 #31788

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
To avoid redundancy since many things on my wish list match others I'll include I don't think I've seen exactly.

Targeted Roles while editing.
I'd like to assign Roles to keys to I can target a video and/or audio Role while editing.
Reason:
While you can assign a role to a clip in advance as well as reassign after making an edited, sometimes it's easiest to do this while editing. In other words, one would target a Role while editing much like one would target a track. And, just for fun, being able to create Smart Collections that will contain specific tagged roles as you edit them in to the Project/TimeLine.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 13:09 #31795

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64

Seanus wrote: When I edit on Avid the scrolling timeline is the first thing I switch off. Sounds good in theory but the reality of it is it's a pain in the butt to edit with as your timeline is constantly changing its position.

I think there's a good compromise to be made with this feature, because I agree that FCPX's ability to let you edit, mix WHILE PLAYING is pretty amazing and it always blows me away when I remember I can adjust an audio level or flip a b-roll clip on the fly. And obviously a scrolling timeline could make that more problematic.

On the other hand it would be great during a review to have the continuous scrolling timeline, and not having to manually scroll with the mouse.

I wonder if the solution is that you have a scrolling timeline, but when you move or mouse over the timeline, it stops chasing the playhead and lets you do what you want, make adjustments, manual scroll, whatever... But once you're done and take your hand off the mouse, after a few seconds it automatically chases down the playhead again and centres it.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 13:18 #31797

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

cseeman wrote: While you can assign a role to a clip in advance as well as reassign after making an edited

If Roles are going to work, this really needs to happen. It needs to be easy to assign Roles, and they need to perpetuate back. Three ways you should be able to assign Roles-

1. ON IMPORT- In the Import dialogue, you should be able to assign video/audio Roles to a clip or multiple clips, assuming that the track assignments are the same throughout.

2. IN EVENT- as we can now, again, with the ability to select multiple clips and assign Roles en mass.

3. IN TIMELINE- If you didn't have time and needed to get a rough cut out, or are picking up an edit from a lazy person; and are looking to clean up your timeline... you can select single or multiple clips, assign Roles, and have those Roles track back to the original Event media. This is important because if you use another section of the same clip, you don't want to have to assign Roles again in the Event viewer or timeline for each instance.

Right now the project/event databases don't communicate that way. Right now it's a one-way street Event--> Project. So it will take a restructuring of the databases for this to happen.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 14:23 #31809

• Tom Wolsky
  • Thank you received: 733
Not sure about 3. What happens where different sections of clips have different roles? Or different roles in different projects? Set it in the event should carry to the project. Set it in the project should stay in the project. Separate clip instances as is common for other functions.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 14:49 #31814

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"I'd also like to find a way to have it zoom in and out of the timeline without it scrolling my playhead off the damn screen! Arrgghh!!!!"

Honestly, I'm with others here. I don't want the timeline to move, as I edit during playback all the time.

I did just discover something that I didn't know though, and just in case there are others that don't know this I'll add it here.

When paused, - with Skimming and/or Clip Skimming on - wherever the skimmer is, or (if clip skimming is on) whatever clip your cursor is hovering over is the zoom focus. Regardless of Playhead position or clip selection.

Of course, during playback or with skimming off when paused, the zoom focus will always be the playhead. Which *is* a moving target when playing. I tend to use SHFT-Z a lot during playback. :-)
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)
Last edit: by plysat.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 15:08 #31816

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Tom Wolsky wrote: Not sure about 3. What happens where different sections of clips have different roles? Or different roles in different projects? Set it in the event should carry to the project. Set it in the project should stay in the project. Separate clip instances as is common for other functions.

I hear you, but I think it's far more likely it would be useful than problematic. I think it's far more likely I want that info to track back, because that Dialogue-Judy audio channel is fairly likely to always be Dialogue-Judy.

Perhaps it could be an command-key to either just apply the Role to that instance of the clip or to the original file in the Event and therefore all instances already in the timeline.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 15:18 #31817

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"Perhaps it could be an command-key to either just apply the Role to that instance of the clip or to the original file in the Event and therefore all instances already in the timeline."

I like that idea, I think it'd be really bad to have it as a default. I can see the utility of having a Project clip setting affect the master Role but... Taking your "Dialogue-Judy audio channel" example. What if you wanted, for sending to a mix or some other purpose, Dialogue-Judy A" and "Dialogue-Judy B" Say Judy's on the phone and thus a phone futz needs to applied in post to some of her dialog so you want it to appear on discreet tracks in an AAF...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 15:24 #31818

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135

Seanus wrote: When I'm playing back for a client I use a side scrolling mouse which works perfectly.

The issue I have is that the waveforms don't update. I do hope the implement the scrolling timeline like they did in Logic. Just an option if you need it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 30 Sep 2013 15:30 #31819

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Seanus wrote: When I edit on Avid the scrolling timeline is the first thing I switch off. Sounds good in theory but the reality of it is it's a pain in the butt to edit with as your timeline is constantly changing its position.

When I'm playing back for a client I use a side scrolling mouse which works perfectly.

Remove attributes, custom timeline and event views, custom interface views, a proper trim mode, proper audio tools, Motion round tripping, keyframeable colour correction etc. ;)

When I edit in Premiere Pro (getting less and less) I have it turned ON by default so that when I'm watching through I can instantly see where I'm at and when I hit stop the playhead is exactly where I need it to be, smack in the middle of the screen, and not off the screen, possibly several screens away.

Scrolling with the mouse is a band aid and like others have said, the screen does not correctly update.

I too hope Apple don't waste any time of things "I" don't want ;)
Last edit: by Dave_EP.