Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 04 Oct 2013 21:03 #32069

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
This is ultimately what we would all want but had no reason to believe Apple would do- use it's streaming platforms to present special events aimed at specific niches of the market.

An event tied to the MacPro and professional software would be wonderful, but I'm taking this with a HUGE grain of salt for now.
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 02:09 #32070

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
I'm certain some of you are aware of the Denver Riddle Color Grading Central email many of us have received.
Looks like Apple has OK'd a sneak peek on a color grading improvement. :woohoo:

A professional editing and grading feature is
missing in Final Cut Pro X.

Yet it is standard in AVID Media Composer, Adobe
After Effects & Adobe Premiere Pro CC.

What is this feature?

Don't want to say quite yet.

But it's coming to FCP X and I'll be showing a sneak
peek of it next week!

I wanted to let you know before heading off for
the weekend :)

Cheers,
Denver Riddle
Color Grading Central
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
+1.801.369.5073

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 02:16 #32072

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Oh my!! I get these emails sent to my work address, must've happened after I left the studio today's cos this is news to me :D
You've just ramped my excitement levels exponentially!! A sneak peak of some major grading improvements/additional features next week?!? Colour me intrigued :) they've got an entire back catalogue of code to tear into, let's face it, as 'Color' just sits gathering dust on the virtual shelves at Cupertino. So this could be very good news indeed.
I'd love to be able to comfortably grade inside of FCPX. Not ruling out Resolve entirely, but just have a satisfactory solution inside of FCPX. That'd be ace :D
Not long now then...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 03:41 #32073

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not sure it's clear from that e-mail whether he's demoing a new feature OF FCPX, or FOR FCPX.

This could be a plug-in. Belaying excitement for the time being.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 03:54 #32074

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Ahh. I hate the rain on a parade here but this could be anything. An effect that Denver made is the most likely conclusion. Not necessarily anything to do with the new version of FCP. Might just be a white balance tool, curves, or color channel adjustments.

Allowing someone else give specifics of an upcoming release doesn't seem to be Apple's style.

As you recall Apple did show a bunch of editors a prerelease version of FCPX and allowed them to give GENERAL reaction to it, ie. The now infamous "jaw dropping" comment by Mr. Jordan.

So now that I think of it...

Apple could decide to do something really interesting and allow pros to be involved in the new version unveiling at some kind of event, and perhaps it is not an event but just a series of release videos. Kinda like what they did with Pixar and the Mac Pro or when they the Black eyed peas would give their reaction to garage band and john Mayer would play with the newly released amp simulations.

So the have some big time editor show off the timeline capabilities, and somebody from skywalker sound show the sound tools and then Denver would show they color correction capabilities. That would defiantly get some attention.

Just thinking out loud, which this thread is a good outlet for.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 06:24 #32076

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: …  whether he's demoing a new feature OF FCPX, or FOR FCPX. This could be a plug-in. …

… but why should a developer of a plug-in demo a 'sneak-preview' of his own thing? …

On the other hand: Why should Denver know something of 10.1 …?

… is the mentioned timing the real, hidden info in this mail…?

......... really exciting! :)
(a bit like 10y ago, when Steve's Keynotes were live broadcasted, and the whole Apple community speculated about the 'one more thing', and NOT dozens of pics from some China fab circulated weeks ahead…)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 09:30 #32080

• jakekeller
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hopefully we'll finally be able to assign names to each correction we make. For example I can now name "Correction 2" as "face" or "sky". It's a pain to dig through each one while disabling and enabling the switches to find out what correction is what. If it's not an effect he is making for FCPX, I do hope this feature exists in 10.1.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 12:29 #32087

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
Someone at the cow already emailed Denver and he said it's something HE is introducing, so it wasn't about a new feature in FCPX.

That being said, very curious about the 'special' Mac Pro event... A bit later then thought though, I was hoping for october. Oh well. Exciting times.

Someone at REDUSER said he knew someone that is responsable for one of the key components of the Mac Pro and the only thing he could say (and that he knew) was that based on the number of components Apple ordered, they are very 'confident' about their new Mac Pro.
Maybe this also bodes well for the introduction price...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 15:53 #32092

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not prepared to give any credence to that report yet. First, because we have no idea what track-record those guys have with rumours. Second, because it's completely out of character for the Apple of the last decade. They don't do events centred around Pro products, or Macs, or in November.

That's not to day Apple can't pivot, and as I said above I would love to see them do that. But right now Apple is VERY careful about the media events it holds. No mater how Apple prefaces them, analysts and bloggers jump in and set up unrealistic expectations; and when Apple doesn't introduce the next iPhone sized disruptive category, they take a massive hit in their financial junk.

In a perfect world Apple would expand their streaming video event offerings into special categories- so that a highly focused "Pro Software" event or even MORE targeted "Final Cut Pro X" 1hr presentations can be announced and play to the crowd they're meant to, without carrying the baggage of introducing a new consumer product. Even have special presentations by big name editors or instillations talking about how FCP, Motion, or Logic make their business better.

But I haven't seen this T-GAAP story picked up ANYWHERE else yet-

So let's wait and see.
Last edit: by Disproportionate Pictures.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 17:01 #32096

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135

No mater how Apple prefaces them, analysts and bloggers jump in and set up unrealistic expectations;

Excellent reminder and point. I'm totally guilty of that.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 18:23 #32100

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: I'm not prepared to give any credence to that report yet. First, because we have no idea what track-record those guys have with rumours. Second, because it's completely out of character for the Apple of the last decade. They don't do events centred around Pro products, or Macs, or in November....

Don't forget it is now a different Apple. Apple would also never give a preview to a new product and they did, twice.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 18:42 #32101

• Karsten Schlüter
  • Thank you received: 661

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: …  But I haven't seen this T-GAAP story picked up ANYWHERE else yet- … .

I told you - 3 days before that blog
www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/...sion?start=160#31841

;)

If I'm in Mr. Schiller's position, a 'Pro-only'-event would be superb:
• Apple doesn't participate for years on any professional fairs etc.
• the Pro products stay in focus, don't get lost aside an iPadMini ....
• the MacPro isn't meant as 'mass product' = price
• FCPX is not really everybody's product
• Logic/Motion/… either
• BUT… everybody LOVES the products done with it

=> so, for brand-building, public relations and feeding the analysts-breed, a 'Hollywood Event', with some triggers (Chinese Theatre, Pixar Studios, Spielberg, Lucas, Nolan, Beyoncé) would kill two flies at once:
• the pros get an in-depth, 60min presentation with lots of 'tech-lingo chit-chat'
• the average person hears "my videos/movies/music is done with an Apple!"

…………………… in case, Apple HAS to show something ('done with Apple').

this thread is inspiring .... :whistle:
Last edit: by Karsten Schlüter. Reason: pod, pad, pid - confused that everytime

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 05 Oct 2013 20:29 #32105

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
Don't forget it is now a different Apple. Apple would also never give a preview to a new product and they did, twice.[/quote]

Technically Steve Jobs introduced the original iPhone six months before they released it. So that's three...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Oct 2013 19:13 #32136

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Scrubelicious wrote: Don't forget it is now a different Apple. Apple would also never give a preview to a new product and they did, twice.

I'm not sure what makes you think that. iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, all versions of iOS and OSX. All of these things were previewed months in advance of their release to the public.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 06 Oct 2013 19:18 #32137

• Scrubelicious
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 110

Disproportionate Pictures wrote:

Scrubelicious wrote: Don't forget it is now a different Apple. Apple would also never give a preview to a new product and they did, twice.

I'm not sure what makes you think that. iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, all versions of iOS and OSX. All of these things were previewed months in advance of their release to the public.

Yes but it was more a Product announcement or renewal then a preview.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 12:35 #32155

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I think you're splitting hairs on that one.

I don't think there's been enough of a change in behaviour at apple to signify a something as niche specific as a MacPro event. Especially since the report is coming from a blog site with no rumour track record.

Just like the rumour of Denver Riddle demoing new FCPX features this week- which turned out to be not true. If you bet on Apple doing something they don't usually do, you're more likely to be disappointed.

The only thing that's changed substantially since Tim Cook took over is how he handles PR snafus. Steve Jobs used to let things fester in the press for weeks before Apple would finally address it publicly. Tim Cook seems to want to get out in front of these things fast before the press can make something out of them (China labour issues, iPhone location tracking, "Map Gate").

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 17:09 #32165

• Chazfest
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This just happened...
www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2013/10/07...-for-mac-is-out-now/

In my eyes, at least, this could be very relevant. As The Foundry developed and optimised the OSX version of Mari to perform on the new Mac Pro. Maybe they're releasing it early, but, chances are, they waited to finalise their code on the final build of the Mac Pro hardware. Which makes me think that our much anticipated release must be very close indeed...

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 19:54 #32181

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Now this is interesting.

www.macrumors.com/2013/10/07/sharp-bring...touchscreen-monitor/

Could Apple have been waiting for this? 4K touch screen. I hope so! :cheer:
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 20:34 #32186

• DFPete
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Chazfest wrote: This just happened...
www.thefoundry.co.uk/articles/2013/10/07...-for-mac-is-out-now/

In my eyes, at least, this could be very relevant. As The Foundry developed and optimised the OSX version of Mari to perform on the new Mac Pro. Maybe they're releasing it early, but, chances are, they waited to finalise their code on the final build of the Mac Pro hardware. Which makes me think that our much anticipated release must be very close indeed...

They say: AMD Graphics cards will be supported upon release of Mavericks.

Maybe it could take at least 1-2 weeks.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 07 Oct 2013 20:42 #32187

• Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not the person who wishes his life away- but man I'd love to zip ahead 30 days. Of course, that's also because I'm so horrendously busy and I'd love for it to be over.

@Seanus- I think if there was an initiative for expanded touch support in Mavericks we'd have heard about it after WWDC. And couple that with Apple's previous statements on touchscreen Macs... While I agree that a "drafting table" Mac would be the only good and ergonomic design, I still can't see how it would be quite as efficient as a mouse for most functions. If Apple does come out with an accompanying iPad app, that would probably solve most of the most immediate needs I'd have for touch controls.