Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 17:52 #34694

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
BenB - there are some 'iMovieX' references inside the current version of iMovie!

@Alex4D
The topic has been locked.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 18:03 #34696

• paurray
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Absence of Quality is the essence of squareness.
  • Thank you received: 14
that is mad :woohoo:

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 20:25 #34698

• thefluentone
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Just was thinking, but am I the only one who wants logging back? I'd love to be able log my clips prior to input again. Often I will batch rename within FCPX, and keyword, favorite etc. But someitmes getting to the clips I havent done that with yet can be slowwww especially when I have 1000+ items in an event. I'd love to store my log info as part of the camera archive, prior to importing to an event, then any event I import to will have my invested effort of logging. I can imagine for teams that could imporve work flow. Having a keyword file based system is nice if you work with folders to do sorting, but I hate doing that. I'm starting to get anxious for the FCPX update. Some of the suggestions and ideas seem really tantalizing.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 21:56 #34701

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135

thefluentone wrote: am I the only one who wants logging back?

Yes. Yes you are.

I'm kidding. I think going tapeless and the fact that storage is inexpensive, I'm happy to have another copy of all my clips inside an event. So for me I haven't missed it, but that is just my workflow.

Regarding the speed, if iMovie 10 is any indication, FCPX 10.1 is going to be lightyears faster than 10.0.9 in terms of navigating around the event browser. I pulled 500 clips into iMovie 10 and compared it to FCP and iMovie is fluid and response without delay, 10.0.9 on the other hand is sluggish and painful getting through it.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 22:37 #34702

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37

thefluentone wrote: ... am I the only one who wants logging back?

Well, yes and no. Mostly no!

There are a couple of things I really miss, and that is the ability to add a keyword to a clip on import and also a reel name/number on import too. It would be so nice to be able to add a reel under the destination event for those cameras/cards that don't have reels instead of having to go track all the files down in the event browser and add the reel number later on.

But there are other things I'm really hoping for, including the ability to have a second computer open the event and have 'it' do the transcoding to optimised media while I'm working on the organisation, key wording and rough cuts on 'this' computer, or perhaps have one computer generate the proxies and another generate the optimised media. That would get me up and running on some time critical projects so much quicker than having to leave it doing that stuff over night.

Of course, the new mac pro is going to do everything instantly, so maybe we all just need to buy one ;)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:11 #34704

• thefluentone
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
LOL, ok maybe logging is the wrong "verb" but I do want to be able to organize media better before I import. I love the FCPX databse.

Dave as per the real info, if you are able to create a camera archive, then the name of the camera archive will be used in your reel metadata field if you import from the archive. Its kind of why I want to be able to store more metadata with the archive. That way when I import its organized perfectly. Of course, now you're waiting for the archive to copy, then copying from the archive.

I hope the event speed is better, I've identified my IO as my current bottle neck, but after my next two projects I should have enough cash for a drobo 5d. I really want a mac Pro, but A lot of my projects are low budget or my own interest, takes forever to finish because I'm waiting on my machine. LOL. Took me 4 days to analyze footage from a fashion show.

The notin of UI comparison with imovie for evet browsing speed is interesting given how many simliarites Alex found under the hood. All though I think I just need to find a better workflow for organizing footage when I'm covering events.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:14 #34705

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

thefluentone wrote: Dave as per the real info, if you are able to create a camera archive, then the name of the camera archive will be used in your reel metadata field if you import from the archive.

Yes, I know this, as does copying the entire card to just a folder. But in the field, sometimes it's time critical enough that we read directly in to FCPX from the cards. While some people have problems, generally it works out well enough. In this case, no reel names are automatically created, so it would be nice to be able to input a reel number/name on import.

It's a small wish. I can work around it, but I'd rather not have to.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:15 #34707

• Dave_EP
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

thefluentone wrote: I've identified my IO as my current bottle neck, but after my next two projects I should have enough cash for a drobo 5d

Drobos are not the quickest HDDs around…. just be aware.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:17 #34708

• tpayton
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 135
Agreed. Be very careful about editing with a Drobo. Be sure to test it before you buy.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:20 #34709

• BenB
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 1280
Drobos have not had the best speed (video editing) reviews around. I'd totally avoid them for anything but a backup of your media drive.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:24 #34711

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I keep hearing about Promise RAIDs. Anyone have any experience?

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 26 Nov 2013 23:28 #34712

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm pretty sure the 5D gets read and write speeds of around 200MB. That would be more then enough for the majority of footage - depending on what you edit of course.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 00:22 #34715

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22

Disproportionate Pictures wrote: I keep hearing about Promise RAIDs. Anyone have any experience?

Yes, we have 3 of them for about a year.

In short: they are as great and as fast as the hype has you believe.
Transferring 250 GB in about 10 minutes from Pegasus to Pegasus.

They are still pretty much the fastest thunderbolt raids available. And not THAT expensive (although anything but cheap either).

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 00:54 #34716

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
Drobos are for backing up data only. They are continually checking and baking up data as they are a self contained computer. Sometimes I get great read write speeds, other times I might as well have a USB 2.0 drive hooked up. It's great for having carbon copy cloner set to automatically back up my event and project folders at 1am every night, but I can't edit with it.

Does anyone make a tbolt raid enclosure you can install your own drives? I would buy one right away.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 01:00 #34717

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Darren Roark wrote: Drobos are for backing up data only.

That's a pretty absolute statement and one I don't find to be true. I edited HDV footage from a FireWire drobo for years. Are they the fastest, no. Is the newer 5D as fast as a promise, no. But it's more then capable depending on the codec and footage you are editing.

Larry Jordan's drobo 5D review:
www.larryjordan.biz/product-review-drobo-5d/

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 01:02 #34718

• infinite
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
HI Daren,

While I have not used it myself, this looks interesting: eshop.macsales.com/item/Areca/ARC8050/
It does seem to review well and would likely be a good candidate once I upgrade from my current Mac Pro.

I would agree with the Drobo comments. I have an older model admittedly, but i've been very disappointed in its performance. It's too slow as a time machine drive sometimes, let alone an edit drive. The newer models might be better, but if you have a same sized drives, something link the link above I feel would be a superior solution.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 01:34 #34719

• Darren Roark
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I've edited HDV off USB 2.0 drives, really wasn't fun. Larry was reviewing one of the ssd drobos which I don't have. The issue I have with drobos is when one of the drives are detected as faulty it goes into a limp mode that doesn't stop until the data is rebuilt on the new drive. This makes them hard to rely on for work. I am a huge drobo fan, but they are made for safe backups, not performance.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 01:34 #34720

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Darren Roark wrote: ...
Does anyone make a tbolt raid enclosure you can install your own drives? I would buy one right away.

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1009177-R...ook_thunderbolt.html

User-Selectable RAID or JBOD Modes
RAID 0 (striping) offers the performance you need when designing or editing time-sensitive graphic-intensive media files.
RAID 1 (mirroring) provides double safe data protection by automatically generating a duplicate copy of your data.
JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) allows you to use this dual-drive storage system as two individual drives and select between HFS+J or ExFAT per disk. Ideal for running Windows OS on a Mac.

User-Serviceable
Designed with two removable drives that can be replaced when the existing drives are full. Simply open the case and exchange the existing drive and begin saving even more of your files.

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 02:02 #34722

• CBlakeston
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Darren Roark wrote: they are made for safe backups, not performance.

That's certainly not the case with the 5D. I don't work for Drobo or anything it's just not my experience and I'm not a fan of absolutes stated as fact. They may not be the fastest editing drives but they are capable. The 5D is marketed as such.

Can we just agree it's your opinion and not a fact at least :) now let's get back to FCPX speculation :)

FCPX 10.1.0 PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION 27 Nov 2013 02:13 #34723

• Disproportionate Pictures
  • Disproportionate Pictures's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64

CBlakeston wrote: I edited HDV footage from a FireWire drobo for years

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. DV and HDV were both only 25Mbps. In single streams, not a huge load. I remember a couple of desperate situations where I actually edited on location DV videos with a laptop and the footage on my 60GB iPod Classic (set as a readable disc). DV's transport demand was NOT high.